Thursday, August 14, 2008

The PTA nabs me again

Our computer decided to go kablooie (in fact, that's the exact sound it made), so I have been unable to get a new post out.

Fortunately, you haven't missed anything.

With the computer down, I did get a lot done in the housework department. I won't bore you with the details, but three words: washed cupboard doors. Eh? Know what I mean? No more blobs of jelly, streaks of...whatever it was, unidentified dried bits of an indeterminate foodstuff.

Also during this time I have registered Oldest Child at her junior high (if it's public education, how come I had to fork out $143 for class fees and other stuff?) and the next three into elementary school. When I found out I'm on the PTA board at the elementary school,I also found out that I am in charge of Maturation Night for the fourth through sixth grades. That is the night when these kids learn about what is happening or will happen to their bodies as they go through puberty, and also a little of what happens to members of the opposite sex. I don't really have a problem talking about that kind of thing, but the PTA presidents (it's a triumvirate this year) informed me that they were getting a district nurse to take over from the last mother who used to do it. All I have to do is set up the chairs and maybe provide some delicious refreshments for the traumatized children. Easy. I was ready, though, to teach the class to the girls, provided the last mother gave me all her notes. Husband, however, said "NO WAY!" about teaching the boys, so I guess this works out best for all.

Husband and I have bought plane tickets to St. Louis. We are not bringing the kids. My youngest brother-in-law is getting married in Nauvoo and we get to attend. The kids are all mad at not being able to come, but I can't help but be happy that I get to spend some time with Husband alone. All he has to do is find a sucker -- I mean, substitute -- to take his class of 36 for a couple days while he's gone.

This is a borrowed computer and my time is up. I don't know when I'll get another computer; the motherboard is completely fried on the old one. Husband is working on a solution, and as he is pretty genius about these sorts of things, I expect it won't take too long.

3 comments:

Allyson said...

Sorry about your computer. I hope you get it up and running again soon.

Sounds like a fun little get away. My husband is from St. Louis. I hope you have a great time.

The Father of Five said...

That is a HUGE bummer 'bout the computer.. That is always a worry for me...

(Back up your family photos!!)

---------------

Please, DO NOT GET ME STARTED on the topic of public education... We have made many, many sacrifices to make it possible (even on one income most of the time) to keep our kids in our Church's school (private) - alas.. it only goes up to 6th grade.

#1 of 5 is a product of the public school system (because of some Learning Disabilities) and he actually graduated and can only read and write at a 6th grade level... It's horrific...

Here's my advise regarding MOST public schools....

"Your on your own..."

Now, I understand that Husband (yours) is a Teacher (??) I hope I have not offended him in any way.

The TEACHERS are not the problem, it's the monster that is the public schools in their entirety that turns my stomach..

The money they take in... and the pittance that the TEACHERS are paid... Wrong... It's just wrong...

----------------

Speaking of Husband (yours) - I'm with him on the whole "Maturation Night" thing...

----------------

Have fun, and stay safe to the both of you in St. Louis!!

David, the Father of Five.

Eva Aurora said...

Thanks, Allyson. I went to St. Louis once on a horrible Greyhound trip (that's a post in itself), and I'm sure it's much nicer than my first impression.

FOF, Husband and I both agree with you about the state of public schools. He hates No Child Left Behind for many, many reasons, the least of which is that he only has time to teach for the tests. And the pay doesn't even allow us to own our own home here in Utah (I suppose it would if we only had a couple kids, but I just can't decide which ones to keep and which ones to give away :)). He's got 36 kids in his class just to earn extra money.