Sunday, August 3, 2008

Pioneer of Blogging

Child Five, who just turned four, came to me and very seriously said, "Mom, could we get a guitar so I can play the song that's in my heart?"

I realized that none of my family has a blog. I am a pioneer. Wow. Sadly, I am a pioneer in a vacuum, as none of my family ever read this blog. Oh, they may have checked in here and there but the only one who ever left a comment is Husband, and that's only because I wanted to know if it actually worked. So if you are a member of my family and you're reading this, COMMENT already. Husband included.
For those of you who read and comment, thank you. I love getting those. You bloggers know that we need validation. Why else are we exposing our fragile psyches to the world except to get that elusive rush, that self-confirming knowledge that we ARE?

I blog, therefore I am?

Maybe it doesn't start out that way. Maybe we (and by "we" I mean "me") innocently start blogging as a way to inform friends and family (family who don't even read this. Huh.) about what is going on in our lives; but little by little these become a way of creatively expressing ourselves, of exposing a little of ourselves to the world at large. After all, anyone could read this. What will they think? Is this blog too boring, too long, too... whatever?
I was chasing some links in friends' blogs and found a couple more blogs to add to my list of Blogs I Love to Read. I will add them if and when I get permission. (I have asked. I'm just waiting for the answer.) There are as many ways to write a blog as there are people. I have quit trying to think of ways to make my blog more like someone else's. Besides, Shanna assured me that she likes my long essays. You did, Shanna. I heard you say it. No going back now.

In daily news, I had to play the piano for Primary today, as my dad, who is the regular piano player, is out of town with my mom at an Isagenix convention in Las Vegas (the idea is that out of a desperate need for air conditioning, no one will try to wander off and sight-see outdoors during the hottest possible month to be in Las Vegas. No, I kid. I'm sure the convention is enough to keep people voluntarily in their seats. I've heard good things, though I couldn't go.). I had to take Child Six with me, but he bumped his head really hard during "Do As I'm Doing" and I had to take him out while he cried until he turned purple. Fortunately, someone else was able to take over for the second half. Six and I wandered the halls, as usual, and I had to keep a constant vigilance lest Six wander into the clerk's office and mess around with the computer mouse and keyboard. I'm sure he couldn't do any good there and probably much damage.

Husband had to take Five to the bathroom while I was otherwise occupied. Ha! I told him all the time the girls were little and I was constantly having to accompany them to public bathrooms at every single store we went to that when we have the next five kids (we won't. Don't worry) they are all going to be boys and he can take them to the bathroom constantly.

Oldest Child came back from Oakcrest camp and immediately went on a sleepover to her best friend's house. She came back late last night, still unshowered, and collapsed into her own bed. I made sure she had a shower this morning (no arguments from her), and when she came out of the hot and steamy bathroom45 minutes later, she sighed in satisfaction at being clean. Next week she goes off to Rough Camp.

5 comments:

Eva Aurora said...

Husband did comment, but on the last post. I had pointedly read him the relevant bits in this post, putting great emphasis on "Husband included." I think he thinks commenting on blogs is less than manly.

The Father of Five said...

Permit me (if you will) to make a couple of observations...

First Point
"Maybe we innocently start blogging as a way to inform friends and family (family who don't even read this. Huh.) about what is going on in our lives; but little by little these become a way of creatively expressing ourselves, of exposing a little of ourselves to the world at large. After all, anyone could read this. What will they think? Is this blog too boring, too long, too... whatever?"

Blogging should be about what YOU want it to be about... Sometimes it's fame and number of readers, sometimes it's about sharing with extended family. It can be about creative outlet, vanity, or maybe boredom..

In my case... My motiviation is my kids... So someday they will have an idea what I was all about... I'll just give you a link to my first post..
Why?


Next point...
"There are as many ways to write a blog as there are people. I have quit trying to think of ways to make my blog more like someone else's. Besides, Shanna assured me that she likes my long essays. You did, Shanna. I heard you say it. No going back now."

Mark me down as also enjoying "your method" of posting... It is different, (er... unique) ((grin)) which is what makes it fun to read. It's real life... and as a parent of another large (although not as large as yours) family - I can truly relate!

You put yourself out there - and do not not fabricate a "perfect parent" persona (as many do).. From my perspective, it sounds like you are a great mom - you have what it takes! You are REAL.


Last Point
Husband had to take Five to the bathroom while I was otherwise occupied. Ha! I told him all the time the girls were little and I was constantly having to accompany them to public bathrooms at every single store we went to that when we have the next five kids (we won't. Don't worry) they are all going to be boys and he can take them to the bathroom constantly.

Tell Husband that I feel for him (regarding bathroom trips..)

There are very few things in this world that I HATE.. But public bathrooms is one of them - for reasons of my own...

I have a yet unfinished post (from the 4th of July) that you have now helped motivate me to finish. It is surrounding just that topic..

Thanks Eva - and keep up the great blogging!

Eva Aurora said...

FOF, thanks for the encouraging words. I don't want to be so pathetic as to get all teary-eyed and say, "You like me! You really like me!" a la Sally Field, but it's a great compliment coming from you, an avid and skilled writer. It actually didn't occur to me to write any other way. I'm so new to the blogging world that I don't know what I don't know. It looks like I can't change how I write anyway. Glad you like it :)

Oh, and that link to the poo story on your blog was...I'm not sure how to describe it. Fascinatingly descriptive. It was like an accident: I just couldn't look away.

Eva Aurora said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

***I really need to edit these posts if I am going to be giving them - the following post is edited for conventions***

Husband does not find posting on blogs "less than manly". Frankly husband couldn’t give a bleeeep about looking "manly". Husband even hates most sports (especially ones that cannot be understood without years of training - American football). Does this make him feel less manly? Yes, but that is beside the point - I still admit it without shame.
However, husband rarely finds himself able to comment on blogs because of life's little time constraints and having/wanting to do other things.
I agree with FOF that blogs (if they must be written) should be written more for the writer and than for the reader. I personally find my outlets in other areas.
That said, wife is a marvelous writer and I have read all of her blogs as occasion permitted and thoroughly enjoyed them.