Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Will I still get my magazines after the Apocalypse?

I love magazines. I don't know why, but opening the mailbox and finding a magazine inside is a very satisfying experience, not to mention the joy of being able to plop down on the bench at the dining room table and peruse its contents thoroughly. Although I've had to cut back on the number of my magazine subscriptions, there are three I won't do without: Better Homes & Gardens, Architectural Digest, and Asimov's Science Fiction Magazine. Sometimes I get free trial subscription issues, which I also love, and which I read all the way through. Some of them have been magazines for which I would never have thought to look and others are magazines I'm familiar with and enjoy. Hey, the more the merrier! Arrr, they be me treasure.

In other news, and less randomly about me (although it will still be about me, of course), I did a little research on the internet and found out that you can, indeed, transport an upright freezer in a horizontal position. Good news! Husband and I immediately drove to The Big City with the van and brought home the freezer my parents wanted us to have and which has been sitting in their garage for the better part of five months, defrosted and ready for a loving home. It's in our garage now, cleaned and having its oil gurgle back down into the compressor before I plug it in and fill it up with frozen pizza. Well, frozen pizza and other stuff, of course. Butter is a big one when I buy it on sale. Okay, I lied about the frozen pizza, for the most part, but the point is that my indoor side-by-side freezer is so space-challenged I can't even fit a small frozen pizza into it, even if the freezer were completely empty. Pathetic. NOW, should I choose, I can store a whole pile of frozen pizzas. It's the freedom to store frozen pizzas in my freezer that I cherish so dearly.

On the way home from The Big City (and close to our house), I spotted some really great sky-blue glass crushed on the side of the road. I am going to go back and pick it up. What a great color it was. I also visually planned out an art project involving the old vinyl window blinds Husband took down in order to replace them with something more sturdy and less likely to be ruined by small boys. I've got my mojo back, people, and this time, I'm DOING something with it.

If nothing else, giving in to my creative instincts gives me something to blog about, unlike all the previous drivel you've read here, and even if no one read this little blog, I still (mostly) enjoy writing it (when I'm not lamenting about how my writing is actually getting WORSE!). Husband and I were discussing how so much of life can be lived vicariously through multiple forms of media, whether they be books, magazines, television, or movies. You can see what other people do and think and say and never do and think and say anything yourself. I'm so done with that. Therefore, broken glass projects and vinyl window blind repurposing. Also, my job tomorrow is to sand and repaint the dining room table benches. Wish me luck. I'll take pictures.

Broken glass shards. Why? Because.



Found art from the garage. It was hiding behind a shelf. Wha...?



Reflector ovens: the cooking trend of the future (after the apocalypse and when cyborgs rule the earth). Yes, I made this. And, yes, I HAVE cooked with it.

No comments: