Friday, August 20, 2010

Teach Me to Dream

I've been getting calls from online universities, sometimes two or three a day. You know why that happened, right? You click on one thing in a fit of curiosity and suddenly your name has made it to a sucker list. The only reason I even gave my correct information was because I thought I was filling out a form for something else. Stupid me.

Well, since these people were calling, I thought I might as well get some information. I have some college credits, but I never did finish my education -- unless you count the education in home management, cooking, accounting, child care, janitorial, maintenance, therapy services, nursing, tutoring, and a few other areas of enforced study I have dived into by getting married and having a passel o' kids. One young man gave me the idea of getting an associates in Business Management since I plan to one day run my own construction company and build homes out of non-traditional materials and in non-traditional ways. The architecture and construction part would have to be done in a traditional school environment, and then I figure I would intern or get a job in a company where people are building like I want to build. So, anyway, I'm dipping my toe in the water.

Speaking of architecture and construction, I had a major Architecture Dream last night. in my dream, I was alone and looking at houses to buy when I knocked on the door of a house on a hill (me and hills... There's some connection there.) and a little girl answered. The house was for sale, but her parents weren't home. I asked if she could show me around and she was quite proud to be thought old enough to be my guide, so she let me in. The house was fairly large with three or four bedrooms. One odd thing was that each stair on the staircase was covered in a different pastel shag rug, and when I say shag rug, I mean the shag was so long you could trip on it. It looked like dreadlocks. One room was pretty beat up and needed some new drywall. And then, I saw the master suite.

Oh, heaven. Three walls opened entirely to the outside. You could slide all the wall panels away until the bed seemed to sit on a platform surrounded by valley views, but the overhang on the terrace was so long the room still had almost complete privacy. Outside, a brick patio extended out along the top of the ridge on which the house sat and down in steps and landings as it followed the curve of the land.

I don't remember there being any danger, which is odd. Usually, all my dreams have some element of danger, but this one was strangely placid. No tidal waves, no snakes or S.W.A.T. teams, no sense of imminent doom. Maybe that's because I was rudely awakened by some guy that I could hear outside harking and hacking until I was worried he would cough up an organ. Every time I leave the window open, I hear this guy. I don't think I'm prepared to know which of my neighbors it is, so I just try to close my eyes and ignore the expulsion of lung cookies echoing up to my second story window.

Tomorrow is Husband's birthday. Happy birthday, my fellow life traveler!

No comments: