Monday, August 16, 2010

The Cycles of Textile Art are Mysterious Indeed

I am the proud owner and operator of my very own, 100% perfect crown. My anal retentive dentist pronounced it worthy of his name, and I will not need to drive into The Big City to the Office of Young and Beautiful Dental Professionals until something else goes wrong with my teeth. Knock on wood. They're all very young and beautiful and skilled at that office, but I and my teeth feel very old there, and I really am not all that old, so it's a vaguely unpleasant feeling. Or maybe the unpleasant feeling is just the way they like to blow cold water and air all over my sensitive chompers so that I grip my hands together hard enough to leave nail marks for hours.

During this particular visit, I learned that my dentist (who is older than I thought he was. He's 35 and I thought he was somewhere in his 20's, and he's single, ladies!) does NOT consider Sarah Jessica Parker to be in any way cute. The assistant was trying to convince him SJP is the ultimate in beauty, but he wouldn't budge. Nope. He admitted he was shallow enough that he could tell right away that she is not one whit pretty or cute or whatever, although she wears nice clothing. Meanwhile, I tried not to laugh too hard so that the crown he was cementing in wouldn't fall down my throat and necessitate yet another go-round of dental visits.

My CB2 Fall catalog arrived today. Although I've never ordered anything from it, the pictures give me a lot of inspiration. I'm looking at the Waberlerbeler wall hangings (crafted by a guy in Taiwan who is "reviving the matriarchal art of jute weaving"),



and they're reminding me a whole lot of that free-form macrame wall hanging that caught my eye in the 1970's craft book I checked out from the library. I bet hanging that macrame creation in front of a really great wall would make it pop.



You wouldn't even be thinking about mushrooms and Jane Fonda and two-hour lines at the gas station and kitchens with wooden plaques on the walls that feature Holly Hobby. It would be totally contemporary and NOW. That's it. I'm making it. Someone advised me where to find a good rock and glass tumbler, so I could incorporate little bits of sky-blue "sea glass" into the artwork, as well. Can you imagine that over the top of a copper-washed orange wall?

Hello? Are you still there? Wow. I put you to sleep.

2 comments:

Kimara said...

OK the art is a little too funky for me but I agree with the old teeth. I have had 2 root canals once I hit 35 it has been down hill for my teeth! We are young we shouldn't have these problems right? I don't think I would mind it as much if I had a hunky dentist....?

Eva Aurora said...

He is a good-looking chap, and very nice, but I keep my eyes shut most of the time I'm around him, and his kindness is offset by the pain he unintentionally inflicts. My kids' eye doctor, now! Shoot! He looks like a younger, slimmer version of David Boreanaz (the vampire from Buffy, the Vampire Slayer), but even if I were hunting (which I definitely am NOT as a very happily married woman!), he's too young for me. I can, however, appreciate beauty. :)

The art IS funky. I think I'm the only one in this family who appreciates that kind of stuff. I'd have a fight getting either of those things onto a wall.