Thursday, September 16, 2010

Is There Such a Thing as Too Much Garlic?

Husband's breakfast: steel-cut Irish oatmeal with honey and dried cherries.
Husband's lunch: steamed cod fillet with parsley sauce; roasted yams with a little butter, salt, and pepper; and steamed, chopped collard greens with creamy Caesar dressing.

Thank you, thank you! Yes, I can still cook. I made all of it myself, except for the creamy Caesar dressing. I have also roasted extra yams and two heads of garlic. It may be a myth that vampires hate garlic, but cancer really does hate it. I hope to have Husband smelling of garlic through his very pores. To that end, I am making roasted garlic and red pepper hummus with whole wheat pita for his snack. This new mode of eating means I am going to have to get very organized about how I feed him, since it's so time consuming. You can't buy a lot of pre-made healthy stuff for reasonable prices, so it's up to me to make it. Totally worth it, of course, if it keeps him around longer.

The kids are fine. We have made sure they are not worried, but have given them information according to their ages and maturity levels. Sian and Gabrielle know the most, of course, and Little Gary has not a clue. It's nice to be three sometimes.

People keep asking me how I'm doing, and honestly if I didn't have a healthy sense of hope and faith, it would be a lot harder to deal with all of it. My parents have been here, helping us, and that also makes it easier for me. I have this underlying and constant feeling of peace. However it works out, I know without a doubt that a)Husband will not live on this earth one moment less than he is meant to, and b)I and the kids will be okay should the worst happen. ("Okay" is somewhat relative, I guess, but we would continue with life and still be able to find joy, despite our sorrow.) I only suffer emotional breakdowns once in a while, but usually my mindset is that if I can't solve a thing by worrying about it, then there's no point in worrying about it. I'll just do what I can.

Meanwhile, I sure am glad for my friends. So many people have kept us in their prayers, spoken heartfelt and kind words, and offered service in whatever it is we need. For days, the women in our ward have brought us dinners. I can't even tell you how much it means to me to know they are thinking of us.

....................

I don't even know where to take this blog anymore. I am going to keep everyone updated on what's going on, of course, and beyond that, I think I'll just let things go where they will as far as this little speck of a site in the whole worldwide internet community. I enjoy writing this because it is relaxing for me to write words I am not paid for. I enjoy writing, and this blog reminds me why I keep doing it, even if I don't rewrite and edit my posts like I should. I know you can forgive my mistakes in that department, remembering that I am, after all, just a girl coping with life.

2 comments:

The Father of Five said...

No. No,here is not such a thing as too much garlic. And, if Husband is anything like me, it'll be coming out his pores in no time... I only have to eat a little garlic, and the Mother of Five can smell it on my for DAYS.. (So, it IS possible...)

Continued Prayers sent your way.

Lyn Milne said...

Your family is in our prayers regularly. Keep the blog going; it is a great outlet and also a great way to keep tabs on you and your family.