Saturday, September 4, 2010

The Blob Visits My Kitchen: A Metaphor for Life

It's been a long time since I made a colossal baking mistake, but I managed to pull off a doozy yesterday. I mis-read the recipe for Cinnabon cinnamon rolls and the results ended up all over. Gooey dough everywhere. My only excuse is that I was multi-tasking. Along with baking, I was doing laundry, playing with Little Gary (drawing exploding volcanoes for him, mostly), writing my articles, and all that division of focus assisted me in putting in three boxes of pudding mix instead of just one.

Pudding? In cinnamon rolls? Yes.

And the yeast loved it so much, the dough expanded beyond the boundaries of the bowl and slowly oozed itself onto the counter and nearly to the floor. It was like The Blob, if any of you remember watching that little gem of a movie (I have a dad with a penchant for B sci-fi movies and, therefore, I grew up educated in all the weirdest possible outcomes of humanity. It is a gift for which I can never repay him. Thanks, Dad!). Hey, good date movie, by the way.

My kids called me, alarmed at the kitchen being taken over by yeasty smelling dough, and eventually, I went down to survey the damage. Still thinking I must just not understand the recipe, I put the dough into an oiled bowl for a second rising. It rose, all right, but by that time it was also chuckling quietly to itself and eying the cats with a hungry gleam across its squishy surface.

When I finally read the recipe again, I realized my mistake. Today, I tried again and it worked out just fine. They got a little too brown in the oven (note to self: decrease cooking time), but they taste pretty darn good and I'm sure by the next time I try it, I'll have perfect cinnamon rolls. In any case, the house smells delicious.

I bring this up because I was thinking about how it's all a metaphor for life. As I scraped dough off counters, cupboards, bowls, and anything it had attempted to assimilate that had lain in its path (measuring spoons, 1/2 cup measure, butter dish), it came to me that we sometimes make colossal mistakes that start out innocently enough. One little error multiplies rapidly into a big mess, and then you're left to try to clean it up. The good thing is, you can avoid that particular mistake the next time it comes up and get things right.

Yeah, I know. A little too deep for the woman who just watched License to Wed voluntarily. I think it might be a reaction or something. I hate being smarter than the movie.

And now, for something completely different (oh, funny story: last week at choir practice, the director said "And now for something completely different," and I blurted out into the sudden and unexpected silence, "A man with a tape recorder up his nose!" and NO ONE laughed. Cue cricket chirp. Am I really the only one in there who ever watched Monty Python's Flying Circus and had the books with all the Flying Circus scripts? Am I?? Don't answer that.), the only topless picture of me available in any form in any media.



I was two and coming down with Rubella. I think I deserved to sit in the dirt in a diaper and cry.

2 comments:

The Father of Five said...

Your post reminds me of when we were kids. All the neighborhood moms went through a phase of maintaining a batch of "Herman Dough" (also known as Amish Friendship Dough).

(Herman Dough is dough that you take from, but leave a portion in the fridge as "seed" - then add a few more ingredients to every five days. After ten days you can "harvest" a majority of the dough, but leave a portion of it as "seed" for the next batch. This cycle is repeated over and over and over )

Anyway when all moms were doing this, all us neighborhood boys started drawing cartoons about "Herman Dough".

The cartoons would start with a stick figure (mom) putting a bowl of Herman Dough into the fridge. Then, the Herman Dough would grow and grow and grow - until it burst out of the fridge and took on a life of it's own. It would at some point begin to eat the family, then eat the cars, then eat the house - and often (at least in my cartoons) the military would show up and have an epic battle with tanks and artillery and infantry before the "Herman dough" was defeated.

Each time Herman was "fed" (by ingredients, family members, cars, boats, houses, skyscrapers, etc) Herman got larger...

Herman ended up looking like a rudimentary version of "Jabba the Hut". Long and snake like, but fat - and with a ferocious appetite!

I am not sure why we found that so funny as young boys - but man did we have fun drawing Herman Dough Cartoons!

---------------------

And now, for something completely different....

(No, you were not. Big fan of Monty Python! In fact, I watched The Holy Grail with my boys earlier this summer, and I own (and recently listened to) "The Final Rip Off". Good stuff there!! I would have TOTALLY got your reference!!)

It's a good thing "the only topless picture of me available in any form in any media" is not painted on black velvet...

Eva Aurora said...

Herman dough takes over the world. That is hilarious! And yes, I am not Eva Aurora in all her velvety nakedness. LOL!

If any of you others want to understand that reference, visit FOF's recent post on his blog. Funny stuff.