Monday, January 31, 2011

SOCKS? Oh, the Horror...

Just a quick note to say hello. I AM alive, but it's been a week full of writing work and visions of pizzas. I'll explain more about that tomorrow.

On Tuesday, a friend from our congregation kindly came over to diagnose the problem with our gas fireplace. The pilot light had suddenly been snuffed out last year during a major snowfall, and Husband could never figure out how to start it again, though he read the manual, fiddled around for hours, and went online to see if there was any information there. Our friend pointed out the shorted wire and then got the pilot lit again. After he left, we all sat around the toasty fireplace singing Kumbaya and hugging each other in our joy.

The reason we were so ecstatic is that our furnace has been acting up. Sometimes we'll wake up and the house is 57 degrees, which is toe-chilling at best, and I've had to wear socks during the day to keep working at the computer without turning into a web text-writing popsicle. SOCKS, people! I hate socks! Husband has made repairs as he could, and he actually had it going pretty well for a long time, but our friend (who is an expert at these gas appliances) told him we'd need a new part. With the gas fireplace on now, we keep plenty warm. The upside to the dodgy furnace performance is that our gas bill has been very reasonable for a winter month. Also, our hoodies, sweaters, and SOCKS (yuck!) have been put to good use.

I'm going to bed. Well, let me clarify: I'm going to bed under my heated blanket to read the rest of Love During the Time of Cholera, another of Gabriel Garcia Marquez's strangely compelling little tales of people going through life. I also read Infidel, by Ayaan Hirsi Ali, and half of a book by Erma Bombeck just to keep my sanity intact due to the potential for Serious Matter Overload, or SMO.

6 comments:

Kimara said...

I love Socks! The fuzzier the better you silly girl they are feets best friend! I have had furnace problems to so I feel your pain or chill. We are minus 35 today so we have the furnace and the fireplace going! brrrr

The Father of Five said...

Oh, Eva... You and my wife are very similar (at least in this area).

She too HATES socks. She is barefoot on all but the coldest days.

I (on the other hand) love socks! I am NEVER barefoot, to the point that (before getting married) I used to wear socks to bed.

Once my wife found out I wore socks to bed, she MADE me stop (one of those little "compromises" a newly married couple have to deal with).

Hang in there!

Lyn Milne said...

How. Can you hate socks? Know you not that I knit socks to keep needles and yarn together, while keeping myself patient while standing in line and awake during movies? Socks. are. awesome.

Plus, the grey font on vaguely gray background made the post a little hard to read today. Fortunately, I'm unemployed and could still apply time in reading it anyway.

Eva Aurora said...

Kimara, FOF, and Lyn, Yes, I know I'm all odd and whatnot for my hatred of socks. There's that shuddering feeling of sliding my socks on carpet that makes my hair stand on end. I can't explain it; it merely is.

Lyn, you must not be seeing the much more vibrantly colored and non-gray background I've applied to my blog lately. When I first sign in, I do get the gray-on-gray effect, but it disappears. Maybe I'll have to fix that.

Is anyone else seeing gray on gray? How annoying to read.

The Father of Five said...

Layered... Colorful backdrop, hazy gray over a port of that, then opaque white on top of that.

Text shows up just fine.

Erin said...

i need to read that book in english. i've been trying to read it in spanish and i'm not going very far w/ it. too rich of a vocab for my level right now...