Sunday, January 23, 2011

All About Hair

If, like Kimara, you're interested in making brown sugar fudge here's the recipe Husband used. Happy confectioning! Make a double batch and share with the neighbors. They'll think you're amazing.

For those of you who breathlessly follow my Facebook statuses, you already know that yesterday I tried out a homemade hot oil hair treatment designed to bring silky softness and shine back to heat-damaged hair. It worked like a charm, too. Here is the recipe and directions.

Fresh From Your Kitchen Hot Oil Hair Treatment:

1/4 cup olive oil or vegetable oil
1 Tbsp cream conditioner (not the leave-in kind)

Mix the oil and conditioner in a saucepan until it's mixed together and warmed. You don't want to dump incredibly hot oil all over your scalp unless you have serious, therapy-worthy issues, so make sure the oil is cool enough for comfort. Then, when it's the perfect temperature (which is a completely relative measurement), somehow get the oil mixture into your dry hair. I just dumped it over my head from a measuring cup, but a less messy solution might be to put the mix into a small squirt bottle.

Once the oil mixture is in your hair, wrap a towel around your shoulders and comb it in for even coverage. My hair only goes to my shoulders and I don't dye it, so I didn't wrap my hair up in plastic wrap; but if you have long or really damaged hair, you can wrap it up for 30 minutes or so. I think it nearly goes without saying that you should avoid plastic-wrapping your entire head. There are dire consequences to that.

I left the oil mixture in my hair for about 10 minutes, after which I hopped into the shower and shampoo-ed twice to get it completely out. I might leave it in for longer next time just because I got to sit around feeling pampered and a little like I was in a spa, except this spa needs constant maintenance and there seem to be a large number of kids who live in it who frequently get hungry...

This morning before church, I cut the boys' hair.


No, I didn't touch the girls' hair. I don't do girl haircuts unless they want to look like well-shorn missionaries, which is seldom (read: never) the case. Besides, who wants this little gymnast to look like Sinead O'Connor?

For the next two weeks, Husband is off-track, meaning that his class has a two week break. Husband does enjoy that part of the job -- especially when his off-track time coincides with our kids still being in school, which means he can write during the day without a lot of interruptions. Believe me, when they're home, he hangs out with them and they love it, but he does take advantage of their absence, as well. His heart grows fonder by the minute.

No comments: