Thursday, September 11, 2008

Birthday Greetings


This is quick, as it's been a long day and I'm at the very end of it. I will address the awards thing tomorrow when I have a little more time.

I just wanted to say Happy Birthday! to my brother, who is the fifth child of six in my family. He's been around off and on for a while as he has been getting through his schooling and working, so he's become a pretty regular fixture. That's a really good thing. He's a great guy. When he was little (he's ten years younger than I) he used to think I knew everything and was constantly asking me difficult questions. I was flattered but a little flustered with that kind of responsibility. He's always been inquisitive and intelligent. He's also great to have around when you want a good laugh.

The above photo shows 2nd Brother's (I have three) depth of awareness to social issues, and this photograph is a subtle condemnation of the way women are portrayed in the media. You can't see it? Look around you. It's everywhere. Speak out, like my brother. Photograph your anger.
Just kidding. As any idiot can tell, it's really about the evils of smoking.

Here's a few things about him: he plays classical guitar very well and it's an absolute pleasure to hear him play; he's very intelligent but not at all pretentious; he's great to have a good, solid conversation with and make jokes with at the same time; my kids love him to death because he's a loving uncle to them (although he does make them do their chores, which they find a little irritating but which I love); he's compassionate and kind; he's a great writer and I hope to someday read a book he's written and had published; he's close to the spirit and tries to do the things he's prompted by the spirit to do.

He's a great man. Today hasn't been the most fun birthday he's ever had, either. First of all, having your birthday on Sept. 11 is a little bit of a trial these days, though he came before the horrible events of another 9/11. Child Five asked if all the flags that were out were because of his uncle's birthday.

Secondly, he spent a large part of his day today fetching and carrying 12 very large bookcases with my dad and me. He and Husband also stuffed them (literally) into the garage, which now looks like a library run amok. Although my parents took him out to dinner we didn't have a party for him (that will come on Sunday when more of the family can be here) and there were no wild celebrations.

2nd Brother, I love you. You are a great example for me and my children. I wish you all the happiness in the world. I hope this next year will be the year you look back on and say it was one of the best of your life. Happy birthday.
And the real story of the picture is that he was in a long photo shoot and had to come up with new poses. Life is tough as a model journalist.

3 comments:

The Father of Five said...

Happy Birthday 2nd Brother!

Shanna said...

Ok, so happy birthday brother! T thinks that you are her fun Uncle too. And you never told us the story of how you ended up with the bookcases and because I've been too lame to call of late, you must post it!

Lena said...

!!! completely agree :)