Wednesday, March 11, 2009

List #6: Smells I Like; List #7: Smells I Don't Like

List #6: Smells I Like

1. Baking bread
2. Cookies
3. Roses
4. Lilacs; in fact, someday I'm going to create a lilac "room," and during that time when the lilacs are blooming, I will sit out there on my bench on a warm evening and just breathe.
5. Infant poop. I know that's just weird, but there you go. And it has to be a breast-fed infant when they still have that yellow poop. They can't be eating food yet.
6. Asian grocery stores (although one of the smells I really don't like is Fish Sauce. Blech.)
7. Lavender
8. Damp dirt
9. That first whiff when you walk into an Indian restaurant and you just know the pilau rice and naan bread are going to be heavenly.
10. Drying laundry
11. Husband
12. Freshly washed kids' hair
13. The soap they use in the women's bathroom at the Jordan River Temple. Pure almond delight.
14. Pizza
15. Pickled onions

List #7: Smells I Don't Like

1. Wet dog
2. Fish Sauce (already mentioned)
3. Wet washcloths that are a little too ripe
4. The Great Salt Lake when the wind wafts in the wrong direction -- it's like sulphur
5. The poopy diapers of older children
6. Moth balls
7. Fresh perm
8. Food I forgot to clean out of the fridge in a timely fashion
9. I can't decide if I like or don't like that green, somewhat sickly sweet smell of the Jordan River Walkway when you're going through the swampy areas.
10. New car
11. Heavy, exotic perfumes, like Opium. They make me feel sick to my stomach.
12. Incense
13. Cooking rice, although it's fine once it's done
14. Heavy chlorine

4 comments:

motherof8 said...

List 7 - I cmpletely agree

List 6 - Well,not 6, 9 or 15.. Not too sure about 5! No experience with # 13, but it sounds good!

Other great smells
* Pot roast when you come home from church. (My 16 year old opens the door, breathes deeply, and says, "I love you, Mom!"

*wet sidewalks on a summer day

* freshly mown lawn


Love your lists!

Shanna said...

These lists are just too much fun! I would have to add rain to list six. It's fun to find out what you will list next. Keep them coming!

Anonymous said...

I can't say that baby poop, of any variety, has ever been one of my favorite smells. It's all still poop, and therefore of extremely limited charm.

Allyson said...

I too love the JR Temple soap. I smell my hands constantly after I wash them there.