Saturday, March 7, 2009

List #2: Spices and Seasonings In My Spice Cupboard



1. Cinnamon (stick and ground)
2. Cloves (ground and whole)
3. Allspice
4. Poultry Seasoning
5. Dried juniper berries
6. Chinese 5 Spice powder
7. Curry powder (various kinds, from mild to hot)
8. Black mustard seeds
9. Whole white pepper berries
10. Black ground pepper (lots)
11. Bay leaves
12. Cumin
13. Oregano
14. Basil leaves
15. Sage (rubbed)
16. Rosemary
17. Thyme
18. Parsley (you knew it was coming)
19. Montreal Steak seasoning
20. Saffron
21. Fennel seed (several bottles. Not only is this a must for Italian tomato sauces, but a small palmful, when chewed and chewed without swallowing the seeds, will alleviate embarrassing intestinal gas. Ahem.)
22. Dill weed
23. Onion powder
24. Salt (cheap stuff and sea salt)
25. Marjoram (leaf)
26. Celery seed
27. Cream of tartar
28. Garlic powder
29. Ground mace
30. Coriander (whole and ground)
31. White ground pepper
32. Garam Masala
33. Root Beer concentrate
35. Liquid smoke
36. Mint leaves
37. Lemon grass
38. Meat tenderizer
39. Greek seasoning
40. Ground ginger
41. Crushed red pepper
42. Mustard powder
43. Paprika
44. Bouquet garnis
45. Almond extract
46. Lemon extract
47. Orange extract
48. Tarragon
49. Imitation Coconut extract
50. Roasting Rub -- French herb
51. Caraway seeds
52. Turmeric
53. Fines Herbes
54. Wasabi powder
55. Tamarind concentrate
56. Peppermint extract
57. Imitation rum extract
58. Nigella seeds
59. Asafoetida
60. Fenugreek (ground)
61. Whole cardamom pods (green)
62. New Mexico chili pods
63. Worcestershire sauce
64. Cantonese oyster flavoring sauce
65. Soy sauce
66. Teriyaki sauce
67. Olive oil (light and extra-virgin)
68. Canola oil
69. Sesame oil
70. Taco seasoning
71. Ginger oil

You see why I can't find anything in that cupboard.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yowza. Asafoetida? Isn't that used as a monster repellent in the old days?

Rum Extract?? What do youput that in?

Shanna said...

Did this mean you actually had to take out all the spices from the cupboard? I think I'm afraid to do that. What would I find? I would have to wipe out the cupboards and put them back all organized. Wait! Maybe I am OCD! Lol!

The Father of Five said...

What? No "BAM" from Emeril Lagasse???

Allyson said...

Wow! That's a lot. I threw out all my spices when we moved because they were so old. I have about 3 spices in my cabinet now.

motherof8 said...

I should clean out my spice cupboard, but I lack the time, energy and courage.

What is your go to spice that you use the most? I love garlic salt! Even though my mother was ashamed of me for it. She only ever used real garlic cloves and salt separately. alas! I am a failure.

Eva Aurora said...

I did have to take out all the spices in the cupboard to make that list. I was planning to do it anyway, out of curiosity. I can say I have used all the things on the list (asofoetida in miniscule amounts, of course, as we have fewer monsters than you might think). And, no, I didn't wipe out the cupboards, which makes me exactly the opposite of OCD. I guess that's because of my ITC (Indifferent To Chaos) Syndrome.

FOF, BAM is on the shopping list, as is another bottle of Herbes du Provence.

I also forgot to list that I have saffron. I now know I don't really care for saffron.

Eva Aurora said...

Lyn, I like rum extract in some dessert sauces. Sometimes I like a variation of British custard.

Barbara, I tend to use basil all the time, as well as cumin, oregano, parsley, thyme, garlic (the real stuff and I cheat and use garlic powder when I just don't want to peel the garlic cloves), and, of course, salt and pepper. I go through phases. I was using Herbes du (de?) Provence all the time on cooked veggies until I ran out. Yum.