Monday, March 23, 2009

List #16: List of Things I Can't Wait to Get Rid of When I Leave

This list was written on March 8, 1994, while I was serving a mission in England. At the time, I had recently transferred to a suburb of Birmingham called Sheldon. I had been on my mission for almost 15 months of my 18-month mission.

1. wax jackets [it's actually waxed jackets, as the outer canvas layer of the jacket is infused with wax to repel the incessant spitting rain of England; it is not a jacket made of wax.]

2. my bike

3. half my skirts

4. some blouses

5. tights

6. elders [I was a little bitter about some things at this point. Really, not all the elders bugged me. Just most of them.]

7. dinner appointments involving blancmange [a horrid, nasty pudding, pronounced "blah-mawnzh'", with that soft French zh sound.]

8. all the junk I've picked up

9. church music [not, of course, hymns or anything -- I was talking about the recorded church music that we were allowed to listen to, like Afterglow. I hate Afterglow with a passion but all my companions seemed to love it.]

10. white pepper

3 comments:

Laurie said...

I really hate white pepper. (And I don't enjoy using the word hate, but it's true.)

Eva Aurora said...

I was dying for black pepper. No one ever used it over there. It's not something I ever thought I would miss so much. Even now, the smell of white pepper brings back a rush of memories, mostly of salads, for some reason.

Allyson said...

Love your lists.

You must tell me the great place you found to buy mattresses.