Saturday, June 28, 2008

Six Word Memoirs and Sleep Deprivation

I write this through a fog of sleep deprivation. I'm usually in some layer or other of sleep deprivation (I even have names for the different stages; I'm in Stage 4, or Fuzzy Whatsit stage right now. I was recently in Stage 3, or Nervous Energy stage), but last night Child Six kept me up alllll night. If he was sleeping, it was only for 20 minutes, then he would wiggle around and start crying, so I would have to groan and help him as much as I could. He allowed me nearly two hours of sleep around 5:30 am. I really was not ready for the kids to be up when they were. Husband, who had to banish himself to the couch to get any rest for work (I gave up constantly going into Six's room and just brought him into mine), wisely didn't wake me up for scripture study, and I am ashamed that I didn't manage to hold it with the kids on my own after he left for work.
Child Six is teething again (collective groan from all parents in the reading audience). 'Nuff said.

A recently found long-ago friend of mine who writes a blog (http://www.father-of-five.blogspot.com/) flattered me by asking me to write my Six Word Memoir. I have been stewing and thinking about that ever since, and keep composing and discarding ideas. It's supposed to kind of sum up your life philosophy in six words, which is an exciting challenge. It's hard for me to edit, as any of you who have read my posts (read: novellas) know, so choosing just six words is good practice. I'll post my winning SWM (Six Word Memoir, not Single White Male) when I figure it out. In the meantime, I'll keep composing.

Since Husband cleaned out the garage and we found we have a floor (surprise!), he went and bought a used, slightly felt-challenged pool table from a yard sale. The kids are really happy about that. It would be nice to convert the garage into some other living space than the dumping spot for all junk (park the cars? Hah!), and when we had a pool table before, the garage was a popular place to hang out. A few fans would make it less sweat-inducing.

The next sleep deprivation stage is Stage 5, or Hallucination stage. It sounds worse than it is, but I do keep jumping because I see spiders and crawly things that aren't there. I'm not having full-blown hallucinations or anything, not like I took LSD in the 60's sort of thing (which I never did because I wasn't alive in the 60's anyway). Just a little "yip" and a jump every once in a while. That will happen if I don't get any sleep tonight. It might make for some interesting writing, so stay posted.

Not getting sleep; still being Mom.

2 comments:

Shanna said...

Hey, keep it up and soon you'll be like me when you bring me home from the doctor's office. If we time it right we could really have some fun together. When should we get to work on the garage details?

Eva Aurora said...

Thanks, by the way, for cleaning off my kitchen counter when you were in the throes of both a migraine and pain medication. Anytime you want to come over and help organize my garage is not soon enough!