Thursday, June 12, 2008

Shopping + Children = AAAARGH!

I spent some of my day helping out a friend, which I was happy to do, especially as it involved some shopping. We even got to shop without hauling around all the kiddies. I love my children dearly, but shopping with them is one of my least favorite activities, unless we are shopping for them specifically, and then only one at a time. Grocery shopping always ends with me vowing never again to take whatever particular child or children I brought along. Before we leave the car I give them The Instructions For Grocery Shopping: a) Stay with me; b) Do not leave my side; c) Refrain from running up and down the aisles; d) No spinning around insanely, arms flailing out to the sides in front of other innocent shoppers who just want to get past us without harm; e) Do not beg me for anything; f)Ask for nothing; g) Have I made myself clear?
There is usually a resounding chorus of "Yes, Mom's" followed by a shopping experience where they ignore all the Instructions and cause me to invent new ones. If you pass me in the aisles you'll probably hear me importuning them in the same whining voice I abhor when they use it, "Could you all just stop talking for a minute and let me think?!"
But I do love them, even so. Just because I don't want to shop with them doesn't mean I don't find them adorable much of the time.
Case in point: Child Four is always telling me how much she loves me. She is very soft-hearted, despite her almost constant teasing of her little brother. She praises my meals and tells me frequently that I'm the best mom in the world. Am I taken in? Sure. Why not? When she's misbehaving it helps to remember that she is a wonderful kid underneath her stubbornness (where did she get that?). What is better than a big hug from one of your favorite little people? I defy anyone to invent something that beats that.

Child Four quote: "I hate picking up trash. It took the best years of my life."

No comments: