Tuesday, September 3, 2019

My Thai-Inspired Mixed Soda Recipe

There's a local diner that offers a Dirty Dr. Pepper, which is Dr. Pepper soda and a shot of coconut syrup. That's fine and all, but it's not my favorite. What I really liked was their Dreamy Dr. Pepper, which is Dr. Pepper with coconut syrup and a dash of heavy whipping cream.

But my favorite soda is not Dr. Pepper. My favorite soda is Diet Ginger and Lime Coke. I decided that combining coconut syrup and cream in a ginger and lime flavored soda would create an awesome Thai-inspired soda flavor.



So, yesterday, I used a can of coconut milk to make some simple coconut syrup (see the very easy and delicious recipe here and use it on pancakes as well!) because I don't like the synthetic flavor of commercial syrups (I know, I know: the irony is that I still like the very synthetic Diet Coke). Then I put a teaspoon of that into twenty-four ounces of the soda (two cans worth), stirred it in, and then added a teaspoon of heavy whipping cream.

If Thailand made a cold, carbonated soup, this would be it. Or, rather (because ew!), this is a liquid version of my favorite ginger- and coconut-flavored hard candy from the Asian market. "Icy cold carbonated soup" doesn't make good advertising copy.

Anyway, if you're game, here's the recipe in recipe format. You could add the syrup to any soda or seltzer water and leave the cream out if you want. I'm not going to be the soda police around here.

Spry Superfly Thai Soda

24 oz Ginger Lime Diet Coke
1 tsp coconut syrup
1 tsp heavy whipping cream

Stir. Add ice if needed. Sip and enjoy.

No comments: