Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Gourmet Grilled Cheese Sandwiches

Since I am on a short food theme here (see my last post), I just wanted to let you know that my grilled sandwiches are better than any restaurant's. At least, that's what my husband says, and he isn't one to lie about stuff like that just to make me feel good. For instance, I have yet to perfect my rendering of creme brulee to his exacting standards.

Grilled sandwiches are our staple lunch every Sunday after church. They're quick and easy, and when served alongside a bowl of soup, they satisfy the empty hole inside of you that has developed slowly throughout the three hour meeting block and culminated in embarrassing stomach gurgling noises that make your MIL chuckle quietly to herself during Relief Society.

But grilled cheese sandwiches do get a bit boring week after week, so I play around with them. Those who are adventurous enough like to try out my new concoctions, discussed below.

Making multiple sandwiches is easiest on a large electric griddle, but if you have ciabatta bread and a little time, a George Foreman grill is great for making paninis, or pressed sandwiches (or you can buy a panini press, but then it's only good for paninis. The George Foreman grill is also good for pieces of meat, vegetables, and other stuff you want to grill indoors.).

Cheese is important here, but cheese is expensive, so we usually have medium or sharp cheddar, depending on what's more on sale during any given shopping trip. I like the bite of a good sharp cheddar. I suppose cheddar is a bit like vanilla ice cream--somehow it has turned into the generic flavor--but when you find a good cheddar, there's nothing bleah about it. When I'm feeling crazy, I splurge on Swiss or Gouda. Or Edam. Or a mild Havarti. And pepper jack is amazing in a grilled sandwich. Fresh mozzarella with basil and pesto? Heaven. And I absolutely adore feta. Oh, gosh. Mmmmm. Cheese...

Once you have your chosen cheese, it's time to add stuff. Here are some ideas, and there really is no limit to your choices. Or, rather, the only limit is in how much room you have for your sandwich.

Grilled Cheese Sandwich Add-Ins:

thinly sliced meat (leftover beef roast, turkey breast, chicken breast, pastrami, etc.)
thinly sliced red or sweet onions
sliced cucumbers
thinly sliced apple
chopped herbs like cilantro or parsely
whole basil leaves
any type of pesto
softened cream cheese mixed with blue cheese crumbles
apricot preserves
lingonberry jam
cranberry sauce
sauerkraut
sliced, roasted vegetables, such as zucchini, sweet peppers, summer squash, eggplant, or portabella
mushrooms
sliced, seeded fresh tomatoes
tuna mixed with mayonnaise


Okay, those are just a few ideas, but now I've worked myself up a hunger. As it's lunch time anyway, I'll quit boring you with this particular topic and go make myself a loaded grilled sandwich.

1 comment:

Marcy said...

Love grilled cheese with tomatoes, and grilled cheese with jam. I'll have to try some of the other ideas . . . blue cheese and cream cheese? sounds yummy!