Monday, June 3, 2013

Audrey Believed in Pink

I was standing by the cheese in the deli section when a friend of mine rounded the corner. 

"Hi!" she said merrily. "I thought I saw you before, but then I thought to myself, 'Eva doesn't wear pink.' But now I see it really is you!" 

Yes. I was wearing pink. I have no particular aversion to pink, and I've made a deliberate and conscious effort to brighten up my clothes choices lately. Plus, I have mysteriously lost my one pair of black ballet flats that I own and had to slip into my backup pink ballet flats (I got them on sale, cheap, and they fit well and feel good). A pink shirt seemed like just the thing to justify the shoes, which tend to draw attention. I accessorized with pink dangly earrings. To relieve the overall pinkness, I'm wearing denim capris. My hair is still brown and my eyes are still blue. I do not wear bright pink eyeshadow; however, I often indulge in a little bit of dark pink lipstick (though not today, not with so much pink. A nude lip seemed like the better choice when I am otherwise imitating a flower.).

How a woman with a couple dozen pairs of heels can find herself owning only one pair of sensibly colored flats is beyond me. One of those pairs of heels are hot pink strappy sandals that I have yet to wear in public, btw.

Why am I giving you this little peek into my life at this moment? Because I've been working on a major project for a client all day and I needed a break. Sometimes the editor needs to write. Sometimes I have to remind myself I actually went out of the house and accomplished some grocery shopping. Sometimes my brain needs time to not think about a thing in order to have it all fall into place.

This particular project is a non-fiction book I'm helping to get ready for publishing. It's rather unpolished, and there is a lot of organizing of information to do before the actual polishing can be accomplished. It will take weeks. I'm charging accordingly.

So I slipped out to the store for some stuff to make lasagna for dinner, and now it's time to put the lasagna together and get it into the oven. I'm just afraid to go downstairs, which has been inhabited by all the neighborhood boys today. I've heard a lot of running around and yelling -- mostly happy yelling, I think. But they're boys, and they do not have any concept of tidying up behind themselves. 

Come on, eyes and brain. Let's get up and get busy. And let's ponder the fact that while pink may not be an actual color, it is certainly a pleasant sensation in the brain.

No comments: