Saturday, July 31, 2010

Frabjous Day, Calloo Callay!

I've got this coin I carry around in my left pocket. Along with the key to my bedroom door (in case the door were to get locked with a very destructive two-year-old on the other side of it), it's the only thing I carry in my pocket. I'm not superstitious, so I don't really think of it as a "lucky" coin, but if I can't find it for a second or two, I get all anxious. I just like it to be in my pocket. Funny, huh?

Yesterday's ennui is dissipating, much to my relief. I've just been sitting around doing stuff I want to today. I was on my way out the door for my walk early this morning when Little Gary (the aforementioned destructive two-year-old) got up and informed me he had had "a good sleep" and needed food. Right. Now. So much for the walk, but after feeding the little monster, I did get to plug in my headphones to the piano and play a long time while everyone else was still asleep. (That's another advantage to a digital piano, of course: I could play at 3am and not disturb anyone. Haven't you ever just needed to play the piano at 3am?) I messed around with some choir music, Suzanne Ciani, and Jim Brickman (whose music is very, very slowly growing on me). It was a mellow piano day today.

I do love my little monster, just so you know. He might cause incredible destruction and create indescribable messes, but he's just so dang cute I know he's going to grow up insufferable and spoiled because his sisters and brother and dad dote on him as much as I do.

Sian and Gabrielle arrived home from their individual camps yesterday, and neither of them was in that great a mood. I had Sian scour her room because when the door got opened for the first time in a week, there were lots of flies inside. I told her to find if there was any food anywhere that was being used as a nest, but all she came up with was the cat dish from when Myles the Cat was sick and Gabrielle was having him convalesce under her bed. Gabrielle is not feeling well at all and has been lying around in her pajamas nursing a sore throat and feeling dizzy. They did, however, both have a good time at their camps, which is great. Now they're swatting flies. I hate flies. I hate spiders worse, but at least spiders eat flies. One thing I've learned since doing website text for a pest exterminator is that spiders go where the food supply is, so if you've got spiders, you've got other bugs in abundance.

I haven't been able to get that thought out of my head in weeks.

I'm off to the library. I could live in the library. I'm taking my one devoted bookworm of a daughter, Sian. We both might decide to live in the library, but we'll probably end up coming home when we get hungry enough. I'm cooking corkscrew pasta with my special, homemade Alfredo sauce (Gabrielle's request) tonight, and I've got half a loaf of very dry French bread that wants to be made into bread pudding for my Brit of a Husband.

2 comments:

Kimara said...

Bread pudding....umm I never could understand soggy bread being good but my husband loves it too. I must have a ton of bugs because I have a ton of spiders around my place.

Eva Aurora said...

Ty's reaction to this particular bread pudding was: "That was utterly revolting." After I was done beating him, I figured out that one of my daughters had taken it out of the oven when the buzzer went off (I was gone) without checking to see if it was done. It wasn't quite cooked enough, so it was all gooey and soggy, and not in a good way.