Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Rule #1 of Fight Club: Don't Talk About Fight Club

I only found out by accident that Child Two was the instigator and officiator of her own little fight club. We were at the First Annual Young Women Organization Spaghetti Dinner and Auction Fundraiser at church when I happened upon them. Six wasn't going to hang out at the auction, so we were wandering the halls. When Six wandered into the nursery, he happily busied himself with climbing up and sliding down the child slide, and I, hearing chanting from the Relief Society room, wandered over to the adjoining door and peeked through. A whole gaggle of the ward's boys, ages 4 to 9, were chanting the name of one of the boys, Dallin, who was circling around his twin brother, Carter, both with huge smiles on their faces. Carter slipped on the carpet and fell, and Child Two appeared from the side of the room to declare Dallin the winner. Then she picked out two more boys to have a bout.

I would have been more worried had the fight club included any actual fighting, but the boys mainly circled each other, occasionally giving the other a little push, until someone inevitably slipped on the carpet in their stockinged feet and fell, losing the bout. The losers moved off the "ring" with good grace, and the winners felt a glow of pride until the next bout was called. Two kept the feeling light and no one seemed to feel the need to see blood. I watched until one of the youngest boys, age 4, fell and hurt his knee a little and started crying. Then I stepped in and put a stop to it, at which point all the boys and my girls (Child Four was also involved and apparently won the tournament) ran off to play another game of hide-and-seek.

I don't know if I should be worried or not about this. I'm mostly laughing. No harm was done and even the little boy who cried stopped as soon as his attention was diverted. All the kids were having a good time. All those boys are from our neighborhood, and they see Two as the guru of video games and inventor of fun outdoor games. I suppose I would be more worried if Two were a moody, violent child; but she's light-hearted and optimistic, happy for a bit of fun. I just admonished her to tell me if she starts any more fight clubs.

3 comments:

Shanna said...

Wow! Maybe we ought to get her a dog. Lol! She is quite enterprising isn't she? That is hilarious! What did the bishop say? Lol!

Kimara said...

Too funny. We don't have that much fun at our activities must be the American influence. I think I will look into starting our own fight club might be a good way to make some money off my primary kids? Thanks for you nice comments on my blog. Pictures go up tonight.

Anonymous said...

Wow. You have a better sense of humor than I do. I wonder what my reaction would have been? There are some kids in my ward who would have used that as an opportunity to wreak some revenge.