Friday, November 21, 2008

Dumpster Diving

As I sat on the kitchen floor this morning pulling gooey handfuls of nastiness one by one out of the trash can, I contemplated some of the more interesting things one finds oneself doing as a parent. Child Six's new hobby is throwing anything he gets his hands on into the trash can. I had noticed one of his shoes under a layer of sugar and some orange peels, so I pulled it out. When we couldn't locate his other shoe, I went back to the trash can. I didn't find his other shoe, but I did find one of my pot lids, the fork half of the separateable salad tongs, and a cup. The other shoe turned up in the recycle bin. Now I'm wondering how many of the kitchen implements I've been missing ended up going to the dump or getting recycled.

It could be worse, of course. They could all be ending up in the toilet.

4 comments:

The Father of Five said...

While I have never FOUND anything of "significance" in the garbage, we haven enough items "missing" that I am SURE they somehow ended up in the trash...

Most recent missing item....

2Mb SD card (value - $12.00) with 6 months worth of family photos that had not yet been backed up....(value - priceless).

Needless to say, I have learned one very difficult lesson about keeping better track of the little items..

If you happen to find a blue 2Mb SD card, give me a holler..

Eva Aurora said...

As I'm going to be going through my trash on a regular basis now, I'll keep an eye out.

Dad Stuff said...

That's why none of our pots have lids that fit.

Laurie said...

you've just answered a questions I've had for years -- how can kitchen utensils mysteriously disappear?!