Saturday, July 26, 2008

If yer gonna spew, spew into this

When I woke up this morning I felt distinctly queasy. Of course the kids didn't sleep in at all. That would have been too nice after three of them kept me hopping all night. Child Five needed something at what seemed like O'Dark Thirty and I stumbled out of bed to get it and felt really queasy. When I went back to my bed to lie down, Husband moaned and said something about never eating Devilled Eggs again.
Later, still lying around feeling nauseated, I told Husband that this was what morning sickness was like. Not that I am pregnant (I'll just nip any rumors in the bud here)! Husband sort of mumbled something indistinct and I didn't get the satisfaction of knowing if he really understands now what I went through six times with six kids. I thought, oh, I'll use this as an excuse to stay in bed and watch movies.
HA!
Turns out several of my other children woke up queasy, and with them not being stoic about it, I heard the moaning and groaning (and occasional vomiting) all day. I figured if I couldn't play hookey I would just put all the queasy in a little box in my head and get on with being mom. Husband obviously had a much worse case than I did (and I don't think it was my Devilled Eggs. If it was food poisoning we'd be wishing we were dead and lying on the floor of the bathroom with a pillow and a blanket for company), so I took the kids to IKEA again to see if they still had this marvelous microwave with a built in extractor to put over the stove, which I had seen in the As-Is room for 40% off, thus solving my microwave-on-the-counter dilemma (the microwave went onto the counter when Husband bought and installed a double oven, which I love, but which took up all space for the microwave). It was gone, of course.
Some of the kids were hungry so I got them the 50 cent hot dogs. Ugh. We all felt like pulling over to the side of the road in about five minutes.
Husband was going to force himself to come with us and even got up and got dressed, but when I was sitting in the car waiting for him, he sent out Child Three with the message that he had decided not to. I was surprised. He hates sitting around. He doesn't count being sick as a valid excuse for watching movies in the middle of the day (whereas I can always make up a reason to watch a movie.), so in between yelling at himself for wasting his time, he read. After I got home from IKEA and Walmart, I convinced him that the best distraction for extreme nausea is watching a movie. He agreed and I got to watch some Stargate-Atlantis in the middle of the day with him. The sick kids moaned and groaned and I sympathized the best I could, and now they are all finally asleep with throw-up bowls by their heads, just in case. If there's one thing I hate doing in the middle of the night, it's cleaning up vomit in the dark while holding your breath and trying not to wake up all the other kids by hurling every last thing you've ever eaten (including carrots). When someone moans, "I'm going to throw up!" I yell, "The BOWL! The BOWL!" Quietly, of course. But with emphasis.

4 comments:

Allyson said...

Oh my! Your title took me all the way back to high school. We used to say that all the time.

Sorry you are all sick. Hope you get better soon. And thanks, but I'll pass on the coughing kids.

Eva Aurora said...

For 1000 points,can you tell me which character in which movie said it (the title)?

Allyson said...

I believe it was Garth in Wayne's World??


I say hurl. If you blow chunks and she comes back, she's yours. If you spew and she bolts, then it was never meant to be.

I'm gonna have to watch that movie again.

Eva Aurora said...

Party on, Allyson! Winner says "what?"