Thursday, March 17, 2022

Turmeric Dreams and Family News

Husband and I have been taking turmeric capsules every night for some weeks, and we both noticed that turmeric seems to bring on very vivid dreams. Last night, for instance, I dreamed that I had a lovely large kitchen with acres of counter space. Unfortunately, all the counters were covered in stacks and stacks of dirty dishes. When my alarm went off this morning, I was running along beside the counters, horrified that my huge kitchen was so dirty and frustrated that no one was willing to help me clean it. 

Photo: Wallace Chuck, Pexels free-use images

I'm sure that has very deep psychological meaning, but I'm just too tired to figure it out. Thanks, Daylight Saving Time! 

The good news is that I'll get to ruminate on my weird dreams a little more for the next week as we head into Spring Break, which I am using to recover from losing an hour of sleep last Sunday. I'm very excited about not having to set my alarm.

In more interesting news, Little Gary just landed his first job. He is a student sweeper at the elementary school he attended, which is exciting both for the financial aspect and also for the nostalgia he has for his elementary school. "If I had known how great elementary school really was, I wouldn't have been so excited to go to junior high," he frequently laments. All of us were horribly shocked and stunned by junior high, kid. I'm sure the nostalgia will wear off as he spends hours vacuuming and sweeping the rooms and hallways that suddenly seem so much smaller than they used to be, but having a steady stream of income will make up for that and the weird building smell he never noticed before.

He had to fill out an application and go through an interview (for which his sister, Sophia, kindly helped him practice; but which--happily, I guess--ended up lasting exactly three minutes and did not include any of the questions Sophia helped him with). His best friend also applied, as there were two student sweeper positions available, but the best friend was sadly only hired as a substitute. I'm hoping there are no lasting resentments that arise from this situation. 

I am going to drop the "Little" from Gary's name. When I started calling him that in this blog, he was, indeed, little. He's almost taller than I am now, and he shot up over three inches in the last six months alone. Keeping him outfitted with trousers that are both long enough for his legs and skinny enough for his waist is a constant struggle. At nearly 15, he's also got a shadow of a mustache and argues with me a lot less when I insist he bathe regularly.

Joseph, my 17-year-old, finally got his drivers license and now I can send him on all the errands I don't want to run. Joseph has a Saturday job at the local bakery, but now he can get himself to work early in the morning. Yay! 

My second daughter, Gabrielle, and her husband, Raine, will be moving from their condo into a town home a couple doors down from my oldest daughter, Siân, and her husband and kids. Their rent will be lower, they will have a lot more room, and Gabrielle thinks she can start planning on getting pregnant with their first child. She has an excellent job with Adobe, and Raine has an Army scholarship that is paying for his schooling, so they're doing fine for money. Siân and Nathan and Gabrielle and Raine love getting together (Siân and Gabrielle have always been very close), so living near each other will be a huge blessing for all of them, and I'm very happy that my grandsons will have a close relationship with their aunty and uncle.

Joseph is cooking dinner tonight. He asked if he could, which is thrilling. He had a stew recipe he wanted to try, and he just got back from the grocery store, where he went to pick up a loaf of good bread to go with the stew (the bakery he works at only serves doughnuts and bagels). The last time he cooked us dinner, it was excellent. I'm so excited to not have to make dinner and yet enjoy a delicious home-cooked meal. Now, if I could only get more willing help when it came to dishes!

No comments: