Monday, March 21, 2022

Miscellanies

I've made a thing!


After watching numerous YouTube videos from people who make it look easy, I attempted my own handmade book. 

I used regular printer paper to make the signatures, which I sewed together using a French Link stitch.


Then I measured and cut out some chipboard to use for the covers and spine, which I covered with light cardstock before glueing in the signature and the end papers. I didn't think to take any pictures of those steps as I was not making a how-to post because I really don't know what I'm doing.



As far as handmade books go, it's pretty terrible. The cut edges of the paper aren't entirely even, the sewing was sloppily done, and the book doesn't open flat for ease of writing (I made the wrong style of spine for it to lie flat), but you gotta start somewhere, no? And I had fun making it, which was the whole point. 

It's Spring Break this week, so in addition to trying to make handmade books, I'm playing the piano anytime I please, and I'm not setting my alarm in the mornings. I'm playing with fire. By the time I go back to work, my sleeping schedule will be off and I'll have a dozen more projects finished only halfway to add to the unfinished projects currently taking up space. 

Speaking of work (which I wasn't because I'm not going to work this week), I received a text from Skyler this morning with this cartoon, which made me chuckle. Skyler often takes me up on my offer to edit faculty members' college papers, and we occasionally geek out on grammar. 


Considering that Skyler took the week off for a little vacation with his wife to San Diego, I appreciate that he took the time to make me laugh today. 

Speaking of things that make me laugh, my son, Joseph, has been trying--with mixed results--to educate me on Gen Z humor as explained through memes. I lack the knowledge of the complex layers of humor behind most of the current memery, but this one I found particularly hilarious:


I'm going to go play the piano. See ya.

No comments: