Sunday, December 22, 2019

Christmas Plans and Wishes

I took the sleep test and the results indicated that I have mild sleep apnea.

At first I was quite offended. Mild sleep apnea? Mild sleep apnea?

I don't think I'm just a lazy layabout, though. Decades of not enough sleep will turn you into a zombie no matter how much you strive for naps (and don't succeed) or go to bed early, just to wake up feeling like it's still eleven pm after you've already been up for forty-eight hours. So I'll use the CPAP machine and the new pillow Husband bought me and we'll see what happens. Maybe I'll get really energetic and plow through my massive bucket list of Things I'll Do When I Have Energy. It's a long list. Reading it makes me tired.

My mom has seen some real success using her CPAP machine. She's been using it for about three months now, and she's so pleased with the results. She can now sleep on her sides, which she hasn't been able to do for years. Before, her hands and feet would tingle and go to sleep unless she lay on her back. She's also feeling a lot more energetic, as well. This is a woman whom I have never known to just sit down and do nothing, so I know it's been hard for her to be so sluggish and tired.

In other news, I finally stepped inside a Trader Joe's grocery store. We wanted to see what all the fuss was about, and since we were visiting Sian and Nathan, we stopped by a store in their city. It was Saturday, so, of course, it was a madhouse, crawling with young, cute couples and their well-dressed children.

As far as we could tell, it's a regular grocery store with expensive things, so I'm not too worried about missing out on it up here in our little burg, even if they do sell Brussels sprouts still attached to the stalk.

Tomorrow, I have a morning dental appointment in The Big City, so I'm going to be hitting the Asian market afterwards. Sophia's boyfriend has been talking about getting curry pastes and a durian fruit, so I'm going to get him a couple of my favorite curry pastes (massaman and panang, although red, green, and yellow curry pastes are also all so good), some fish sauce, some Thai basil, and some tamarind concentrate so he can make Thai curries.



I'll look for a durian, as well. I'm interested to try one. How can something that smells so awful taste so good?



Sian and Nathan are spending Christmas in Las Vegas with Nathan's family. Gabrielle and Raine are coming up here, however, to spend part of Christmas Day with us and to attend our annual Christmas dinner at my mother-in-law's house. I had a chat with my own mom a couple days ago, and given the circumstances, we aren't going to try and get together until January. My grandma isn't doing so well right now, so traveling to our house or having a lot of people over at my parents' house would be difficult for her. I kind of feel like she won't last all the way through 2020. She'll be ninety-three in January. She's really losing her memory now, and the doctor keeps having to increase her diuretic medication as she keeps collecting more and more water around her lungs.

Tomorrow I also need to deliver the presents our ward has purchased for a couple families whose finances are hurting right now. I've got piles of presents stacked up in my bedroom, some of which still need to be wrapped. Compared to getting last week's funeral meal for two hundred people sorted out in a couple days, this is cake.

If I don't get back here until after Christmas, I hope your Christmas is a wonderful, joyous time. I wish you love and comfort with friends and family and the happiness of knowing that a Savior was born to save the world. There are no limits on love, and the universe is absolutely packed full of it. So am I.


No comments: