Wednesday, July 13, 2011

A Visit from the British In-Laws

Well.

Last week my parents-in-law dropped by for a little visit from England. They brought suitcases full of presents and British goodies and financed some very fun adventures. Sure, Husband's car's transmission went CLUNK 50 miles from home (fortunately, it stopped right by a mechanic's garage), and my mother-in-law (MIL) caught the stomach flu from me, but we generally had a wonderful time while they were here.

This week, it's time to pay the piper. Because Husband is off-track from teaching at his year-round school, we're writing eight hours a day. We worked out that if we total 20 articles a day -- 100 total before the pay period ends -- we can pay the mortgage. It's a worthy goal, but UGH! it's been a long three days so far. Next week, when we go down to five articles a day per person, it will seem like a vacation. I've written about Kansas City real estate one too many times. Ditto Florida country clubs. I did get to write an article about spandex bodysuits and one about whipped cream chargers, which was a nice break. But by about 6pm, my brain is well and thoroughly shot. Done. I'm only writing this post because I'm not getting paid for it.

Tomorrow we still have to get our 20 articles written, but we're taking a break in the late morning to have a picnic with family friends who are visiting from out of town. I'm very excited about that.

Now you're all caught up. And I'm going to bed.

My MIL and FIL. Lovely British accents, even lovelier people.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

That sounds great! Your in-laws seem really sweet. I'm very interested in what you do. Who do you write for and what kind of articles do you write?

Eva Aurora said...

I'm a freelancer and frequent outsource writer. Right now, I write almost 100% for a website development company in Provo, Utah. I write SEO content, which takes the form of articles or blog posts containing certain key words. The subjects are pretty varied, so I have a lot of interesting information floating around in my head -- just not enough information on any one thing to be called educated. I also write web text, which is text for websites.

Am I working on a novel? Not really. Sort of. But seriously, it's hard to sit down and write for hours after you've been writing for hours.

The Father of Five said...

Wow! How awesome will that be for Husband and your kids - to have both sets of grandparents so close!!

Not to mention - all the cool English Cooking lessons you can get!!

Congratulations...

BTW - I'm glad to hear you have been as busy as you have been - I have an unfinished email I still need to send, and have been feeling pretty guilty about it taking as long as it has! Sounds like you would not even have the time to read it anyway!! (snicker)

Best to you and yours!

Eva Aurora said...

FOF, I'll just be glad for the email when you can send it. I love email messages from friends, and those hit my top priority list of reading material.