Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Why Have One Cancer When You Can Have Two?

Update on Husband: I'm making this an official update because there are developments. Husband's drug reaction did get worse, as far as the itching was concerned. I'm happy to report he did not succumb to insanity, but it was a little touch and go for a while.

Yesterday we went to the dermatologist to get the cyst on the bridge of his nose checked out. Thirty minutes into our visit, we were still discussing his sudden allergic reaction to penicillins and what the doctor could do to ease some of the horrible itchiness. The resident doctor, a lovely, vivacious woman, prescribed a strong hydrocortisone cream (which didn't work, in the end. In fact, the itching got worse, much to Husband's dismay) and some strong antihistamine pills to knock him out so he could sleep at night (the pills did work, and Husband finally slept very soundly for the first time in four nights).

We finally got around to the problem of the cyst. Husband had put a bandage over it for a week to keep it from being irritated by his glasses, and it had shrunk down remarkably. The resident took one look and said, "Basal cell carcinoma." Husband said, "No. I would really rather it was not." The resident, however, was not swayed. The attending doctor came in for a minute, looked at the cyst, and said, "Basal cell carcinoma." The resident took a sliver for a biopsy, and we now await the news. Basal cell carcinoma is not by any means lethal, but it will be annoying to have to get it removed. I told Husband that now he can brag about surviving two different cancers. Because he was itching so badly, he didn't appreciate the humor of that.

3 comments:

motherof8 said...

Poor husband! I am just glad he was finally able to get some sleep. And taht he is a two cancer SURVIVOR. But, the itching! My sense of humor would take a serious dive there, too. I think I would want to spend my life soaking in a baking soda bath - if that worked, I would never get out. If that didn't work, I would ask for more knock out pills - wake me up when it is over.

Kimara said...

Man that is one thing you don't want to of! I am so sorry for the trials you both are enduring (especially hubby) I think it is great that you have kept your chin up and used your good sense of humor to help out!

The Father of Five said...

I will amp up the prayers for Husband.

I wish there was more we could do to help you out.

Please send him my best wishes.