Sunday, October 17, 2010

Those Salty Vacuum Manufacturers!

Yesterday, I was helping to clean up after a particularly enjoyable Super Saturday at the chapel and I went to the janitor's closet for a vacuum. I noticed an old carpet sweeper shoved into a corner, and printed on top of it in fancy factory letters was the name, "The Shagger." You can bet I did not in any way make any comments or juvenile jokes about it. At all. To anyone who might have laughed until her face turned red and I had to quit talking just to let her breathe. No. That would have been completely inappropriate.

Ahem.

In non-naughty vacuum news: A few weeks back, Husband went right ahead and published his own book. He wasn't getting anything but rejection notes from the various publishers and agents he's sent it to, but so many people have asked to read it that he figured it was easier to pass it around in book form than as a massive 3-ring binder. He designed a cover and had three softcover books printed by a reputable printing company he found online. It only cost about $12 per book, which is very reasonable, considering he couldn't in any way claim a mass production discount. He's using one to edit again (still finding a few mistakes!) and he got permission to read the book to his class because it isn't published and he can't be accused of promoting sales to the children in his classroom. The people who have read it so far have loved it, and not all of them are close family members! (Ha ha ha. I hope you found the humor in that last sentence.) But, seriously, most people who are reading it find that they can't put it down. One reader (a colleague of Husband's) reported reading it all day and staying up into the wee hours to finish because he just had to know what happened next. He's begging for the sequel. I'd say that's a good sign.

7 comments:

motherof8 said...

I have been out of the loop. What is Husband's book about? Sounds good whatever it is. Best of luck on selling it!~

daddybeaverchews said...

I would love to know about his book as well. I will look forward to purchasing a copy.... Guy Wilcox Taylorsville Ut North
Stake,,,,
Miss you guys a lot

Eva Aurora said...

Thanks Barbara and Guy. Husband's book is a fantasy/historic fiction book. A young boy must travel through time to save the universe from unraveling. That description sounds trite, but Husband really did a great job on it. He can't sell it yet, as that would be a conflict of interests with his classroom, but I'll let you know when it's available!

Flibbit Cranklewisp said...

Sounds trite? What do these Earthlings know about good writing? The number of times I've had to save the universe without any help whatsoever would startle you. 3. There. I bet you're started aren't you? Trite. Pfffff.

Kimara said...

Well at least you look 30 My daughter is to honest I don't think I will ever ask her how old I look!!!

LeShel said...

I'd love a copy! My sons are always looking for a good read. Can I buy one

Eva Aurora said...

LeShel, I'll let you know the minute he's got copies for sale. There's actually enough interest that he is thinking about printing some for sale. Plus, if he sells around 2000 on his own, a publisher will be much more interested!