Friday, October 22, 2010

Of Footwear and Vessles and Authenticate Increase, of Cruciferous Vegetables and Reigning Monarchs

It was my birthday on Wednesday. I turned 39. I decided to take stock of myself.

A few more wrinkles: check
Three gray hairs: check
The need to diet: check
Life satisfaction: check, check, and CHECK!

I am very happy with my life, which is a good thing to know as I speed through that last year before hitting middle age squarely in the tush. Therefore, I made some goals for me to reach before my next birthday.

  • Reach my ideal weight for health reasons (and telling myself it isn't in any way connected to my vanity, which I know to be a complete falsehood, but at least I know I'm lying to myself)
  •  Play my cello much more often
  • Hang out with my kids as much as possible
  • Take a vacation with Husband
As I was driving home from the library on Wednesday (it WAS my birthday and that IS one of my favorite places), Gabrielle asked how old I was. Then she said, "Wow! You don't look 39. You look 25."

Ah, that kid. I laughed until the tears came out of my eyes.

"No, Mom, it's true!" she protested. Then she was quiet for a moment while I continued to chuckle fondly. "Okay," she said, "You at least don't look any older than 30."

I think she's my favorite.

I got a wonderful birthday gift the day before my birthday. A friend I've know since my first area on my mission (who happens to be a follower of this blog) had a layover in The Big City during a business trip to an exotic South American country. Husband and I drove to the airport to pick him up and he treated us to lunch. It was fun to catch up.

Sian had a high school orchestra concert on Tuesday night. All the players wore their Halloween costumes, and my darling girl wore her Snow White costume I made for her last year because she looks just like Snow White. I did insist she put on more red lipstick for the "lips as red as a red, red rose" look, though.


Since my razzle grappling trashbiting camera doesn't work very well, my dad took her picture and emailed it to me. Ain't she purty?

Her chamber orchestra did very well, and the combined high school orchestra also sounded quite nice. My favorite piece was "Concerto for Three Kazoos and an Orchestra." Especially when the kazoos tuned up.

Today I have been working on editing a number of websites that were written by people whose first language is not English. That would be fine and all, since many people both speak and write English very well as a second language, but these particular writers are only shyly acquainted with our national language. They also use a thesaurus like many people use humor: indiscriminately and with blunt force. The results are often unintentionally hilarious. Who wouldn't want to read something entitled "A Favorite Pastime: Passion Ideas You Will Like"? Sadly, it was only about hobbies, however. Still, among the surprising ideas contained within was this one: "Individuals who live in a nation sometimes turn into fascinated with elevating decorative chickens, pigeons, or pheasants." Further encouraging the reader to take up raising birds as a hobby, the author noted, "...you can even increase some prize winners!"

See if you can spot the misuse of a thesaurus in this sentence: "Pastime bicyclists have gotten more and more widespread to see cycling alongside lesser traveled highways seeing the countryside up shut and personal."

I laugh at these, but I would never attempt to write an article in another language. I don't know enough of another language to be even a little dangerous, much less only slightly comprehensible. At least they get paid for their unintentional hilarity.

4 comments:

Flibbit Cranklewisp said...

Three gray hairs? You must be 30. Either that or you're like my cousin Grebchid who looked like he was only 345 when he was closer to 800. Lucky astropod!

Linnea said...

Fun post! Happy belated birthday!! My kids were talking about age the other day and I asked Ivy how old she thought I was. Her answer: 56. Yep! Apparently I could be her grandmother!! She said she thought Vince looked about 38--which is spot on. I've been trying to reach my ideal weight for years...also for health reasons...or so I tell myself. We will both get it THIS year!! I love your thesaurus adventures!!

Lena said...

Happy belated Birthday! great job with a Snow White costume! You play cello! - it's amazing, I love cello. you are a great person and mom!

Lyn Milne said...

I tell myself the same weight about motivations for weight loss. I think, however, that mental health and self-esteem both come under losing weight for "health" reasons.

Your Snow White is lovely!

The scatter shot method of thesaurus usage is quite funny. I like to play the same game with auto names (instead of the Mercury Villager, I come up with the Mercury Townsperson; the Hyundai Santa Fe becomes the Alburqurque; my grand caravan is now the Fine Wagontrain. Like that.).

The games we come up with to amuse ourselves in traffic because the law frowns on reading at stop lights!