Sunday, May 10, 2009

No Coupons Were Used in the Making of this Posting

As many of you know, a coupon craze has hit Utah moms. All of a sudden there are newspaper articles, TV spots and all kinds of hints and tips being passed around by wide-eyed and earnestly well-dressed women in Mommy Outfits (solid T or polo shirt with capris and sandals, and very cute A-line bobs). For a while I was thinking I was missing out. I mean, when you check out some of the blog postings and find out how much people are saving, you start thinking you should get yourself ON this bandwagon already.

I am frugal. I don't like paying lots of money for stuff. I am mostly okay with generic brands. I usually cook stuff from scratch (hence my love/hate relationship with cooking after a solid 14 years of being a domestic goddess (*snort*). How many meals is that? Hmmm. About 15,330, give or take a few when we got takeout.). And I have found places to grocery shop where I save a dime.

But am I not as righteous and frugal as I should be?

Then I read this posting and laughed and laughed. So I thought I would share with all of you my own amazing savings. And I did it all without coupons!!




(Above photo): I payed $60.85 cents for this stuff. I got grapes, pasta salads, broccoli florets, Danimals smoothies, Go-gurts, mushrooms, cookies, 4 dozen eggs, instant pudding, butter, lactose-free milk, Cool Whip, crackers, 20 pounds of apples, salsa, eggroll wrappers, lunch meat, cereal, parsley, and some Gouda cheese.

This is the part where you fall down in astonishment and wonder at my brilliance. Aw, gosh. But I admit that because I am the primary grocery shopper in the house, I know the prices of things inside and out, so I can spot a bargain at ten paces. The place where I bought this stuff is a discount grocery outlet. Sometimes they have great prices on certain items. I don't buy the stuff that isn't a good price. For instance, you wouldn't ever catch me buying pre-packaged pasta salad or Go-Gurts at retail price. Not worth it. The Go-Gurts are gone in approximately 2 seconds unless I stand in front of the refrigerator in the kitchen with a rolling-pin at the ready. There is some careful rationing involved there.




On the other hand, I spent about $20 for these two items from Costco. I use them all the time. But I did pay retail. Yurgh.

6 comments:

Kimara said...

Let me tell you from a Canadian Stand point you have such good deals on food. Your prices are like 30-60% cheaper than I can get so even without coupons you are getting a sweet deal! Just remember that when you want to feel better :0)
P.S. What the heck are go-gurts?

motherof8 said...

You are awesome. By contrast, I am the primary shopper at my house, but I have no head for numbers and cannot remember prices for the life of me. I have never successfully couponed. Collecting and organizing takes too much time. They are usually for things I don't normally buy. And I either forget the coupons at home or am so tired and rushed I forget to use them anyway. If I proudly whip out my coupon at checkout- it's expired!

Eva Aurora said...

Kimara: I'll remember my Canadian friends while at the grocery store. And Go-Gurts is a marketing brilliance that puts regular yogurt into a little packet that you squeeze up and into your mouth. Somehow that packaging makes the yogurt worth so much more of my dollars. Not. I paid 50 cents a box for those, and that was my upper limit.

Barbara: I'm exactly with you on coupons. I just don't use them. I laughed when I read your comment because I do the same thing.

MKShelley said...

Was that girl serious??? IS she spoofing the craze? Or is she really that egotistical? Holy crap that made me throw up (in disgust, not in "Ooohhh...I wanna be like you"). BARF!

Eva Aurora said...

MKShelley: It's a total spoof. Don't throw up yet. Go back and read some back posts and you'll start to get the feel of it. What's really funny is that there are some people like that. And most of the people who comment play along. When taken in that light, hopefully you'll feel less nauseated.

I love how TAMN spells her words like they sound with the Utah accent. That makes me laugh every time. Fill = feel; idizz = ideas; etc.

Lyn Milne said...

I must run with the wrong crowd. I had no idea that there was a coupon craze. While I admire people who can do that, I'm kind of okay spending more than I have to to be able to get in, pick it up, pay for it, and get out with surgical strike precision.

Are people like me part of the reason that manufacturers feel like they can put less in the box, and charge us more?