Monday, May 18, 2009

"MOM! I just don't get it. Waaaaahh..."

This week and next I will be concentrating on getting my homeschooled children to pass their current grades. When I check their progress, I realize that we have about 8 school days to get them fully up to date.

Stress!

My 10-year-old will now be working a full 8 hour day. Wish her luck. It's not like we haven't been doing the lessons and getting stuff done, but there's just so much to do. And we don't have the luxury of taking many breaks during the day. Somehow, the public school system says all this stuff has to be crammed into their heads by June 8.

This is why I leave being a school teacher to my husband. I don't know how he does what he does. Yes, there are different methods of homeschooling, but I am stuck in this one for the rest of this school year.

Anyway, I probably won't be posting for a while, just so I can deal with the work. I also have to deal with the horrific guilt that occasionally threatens to overwhelm me because I am sending all the kids back to public school next year. It's my fault for thinking too much about the state of public education and the liberal agenda of the government and the NEA. No big.

In parting, I leave you with this:

Things I Never Thought I'd Hear Myself Say #5: "This had better be mud smeared all over the bathroom floor!!" (Shouted Sunday, May 17, 2009)

6 comments:

motherof8 said...

Good luck with preparing for your homeschooling finals.

I am confident that you have well thought out, carefully considered reasons for sending the kids back to public school. 1) So, you shouldn't feel guilty, right?. 2)
Would you like share what they are?

You got me - Why had there better be mud smeared on the bathroom floor?

I shall miss you while you concentrate on the current life demands!

Lyn Milne said...

I'll field the mud one: what else has the color and consistency of mud,and could likely be found smeared on the BATHroom floor?

Homeschool quit guilt never quite leaves. I homeschooled for 3 years, to one degree or another, to varying numbers of children, and even now, most of 6 years later, I still wonder if I had had a better support network, if I had tried a different method, if I had established a better expectation. . .

I think that is why there is sometimes more than one right answer.

The Father of Five said...

Take care of your family's needs.... We will be here waiting.

Best of luck to the whole Aurora family as the school year winds down!

David.

Eva Aurora said...

Thanks everyone. Lyn hit it on the head with the mud question. I'd much rather it be mud!

I'm mostly not cut out to homeschool. That's the simple and honest truth. I'm not organized enough and I hate getting together schedules, which is really what you have to do. Even if you have an unstructured style, you still have to have projects and activities always going on to keep the kids learning. I don't have goats or chickens, I don't yet have a garden, and I'm not running to Home Depot every time one of the kids wants to build something. Can't afford it. I also am not Type A. I think you have to be at least a little bit Type A to satisfactorily pound some learning into your kids.

Now I feel like I'm justifying myself again. It's that infernal eternal guilt.

Allyson said...

You are doing homeschool? You brave, brave woman! Don't feel guilty for sending them back to school. You're making the choice tht you feel is best for you and your children. No guilt!

Was it mud?

Eva Aurora said...

Thanks, Allyson. I'll keep that in mind when I'm having my doubts.

And it WAS mud, thank goodness.