Sunday, December 28, 2008

Happiness is a tidy coat closet.

I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas. We did. First Brother and my sister-in-law couldn't drive down from Idaho, as they were snowed in most of the week. They were sorely missed; but we had just about everybody else here at the house. The exception was my youngest brother, Third Brother. We don't know where he is. We presume he's still somewhere in central Minnesota, but the trail's gone cold. He's not an irresponsible or flighty person, so we're mystified as to why he disappeared without a trace.

M, if you're reading this, call your mother! She's worried sick, as are we all! We've been trying to track you down, but we may need to hire a detective if you don't phone soon. I'm NOT kidding!

Other than that worry, this Christmas was a lot less stressful than usual. My parents and siblings and Husband and I made a pact not to buy gifts for each other, and since Husband bought online the few gifts we allowed for the kids, there was no running around the week before Christmas, fighting the crowds and losing the spirit of joy and thanksgiving this time of year should bring. I'm not knocking gift-giving by any means. Nor am I preaching to anyone. For us, this year, I desired less. I want to simplify, to take stock of what we really need and then be grateful for what we have. I cleaned out the coat closet and was able to donate several very nice coats that no one uses. Plus, I re-taught each child how to hang up her coat (and then nagged them for about a week). Now they hang up their coats and the floor of the coat closet only holds their school bags. Remember that picture of the coat closet a few posts ago? Now it's completely transformed. Best Christmas present ever.

I prepped the walls of the living room for paint on Friday. I'm expecting to get them painted tomorrow or the next day. We also ordered some carpet tiles to make our own area rug from Flor. Husband and I had fun creating our own design on the computer. Soon the living room will be a library. I'll post some pictures.

Another of my sisters-in-law reminded me of the screen play I was writing for Lorna Doone some years ago. I stopped writing it because a very nice movie was made in 2001, and I felt that they had done a very good job. Still, we both want to see a six hour version, like the BBC version of Pride and Prejudice. I'm putting that on my list. How about Matthew Goode for the role of John Ridd? Dishy and expressive.

One more thing: I used a new brine/marinade recipe for the turkey and it turned out so juicy, tender and tasty that it would have been a crime to put gravy on it. The pineapple juice has enzymes that tenderize the meat. I put the brine/marinade and the turkey into a clean five-gallon bucket, which hung out in the cold garage overnight. On Christmas day, I cooked the turkey with the breast down to keep it juicy. It's not a good way to cook it if your primary goal is the presentation, but it sure does beat beautifully browned but dry meat. I carved it before bringing it to the table. No one cared. Click here for the recipe, which was recommended by one of my mother's co-workers. I think I will use this recipe forever.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your turkey sounds wonderful, but I am not too sure about giving up gravy.

We recently found our "coat closet" which for years was piled up inside with boxes of memorabilia that I need to scrapbook someday - now moved to the "office" - and blocked outside with more boxes - including a ceiling fan that needs to be installed in the office.

Progress is slow here, but at least is is forward.

Musical Melodie said...

I hope you are able to contact your brother. I am sure that he IS missed.