Monday, October 13, 2008

The Many Shades of Chard

When I asked for ideas for posts, I wasn't prepared for David S.'s suggestion of "More chard. All chard, all the time." Wow. That kind of threw me for a loop. Here's a guy who really loves chard and wants to know as much as possible about this fascinating and delicious deep green vegetable, so much so that he wants me to devote all my future posts to chard alone.



Well, David, I can't go quite that far, I'm sorry to say. Even you might get tired of reading about chard, as hard as that is to believe right now. Plus I would have to rename my blog, maybe to "Love, Kisses and Chard" or "Chard! The Best Gift From the Swiss Aside From Numbered Bank Accounts and Lederhosen." (And then I would be printing false information because chard didn't come from Switzerland. It is only "swiss" chard to distinguish it from French varieties of spinach, but I didn't have to tell you that, did I?)


Still, there are a number of interesting things about chard. For instance, we call this vegetable "chard" because the French got confused (insert joke here) and called both this plant and another, similar plant, called cardoon, "carde." The leaves are deep green and the ribs can be white, green or red. Both are edible. The young leaves are okay to eat fresh in salads, but the older it is, the more likely you are going to want to cook it. Here is a nutrition chart I stole from a website:


As you can see, this is an amazingly nutritious vegetable to eat. Not only will it build your bones, it will also clean out your colon, improve your lung health, help you see in the dark and become one of Oprah's new diets. It will NOT allow you to fly, however, no matter what anyone says, especially as that claim has not yet been approved by the FDA. (In fact, the FDA isn't really sure swiss chard is all that good for you, since drug companies can't patent it. If chard is ever patentable by drug companies, you can rest assured that you will officially gain great benefits from it for an exorbitant price. Eat it now while you can afford to.)

Any diet should be high in leafy green vegetables. Don't believe me? Just ask my mother. She pounded that into my head all the time I was growing up. But it turned out she was right. Who knew? Swiss chard is a wonderful addition to your diet. Eat it fresh, sauteed or boiled with just a little vinegar, salt and pepper. And bacon. Mmmm.

David, I know this isn't enough to satisfy you and I'm sorry that I can't devote all my writings to chard. I hope you understand. While chard is a worthy subject, I have other things I want to write about, but I promise to occasionally re-visit this little miracle of a plant. I don't think we've plumbed all the depths of swiss chard yet.

5 comments:

The Father of Five said...

Can you put chard on a burger??? (grin)

Allyson said...

Hey. Just wanted to say hi and tell you I haven't been ignoring you. I have just been so busy lately. I haven't checked any blogs. Trying to catch up today. How are things way over in your part of town?

Eva Aurora said...

FOF: Why the heck not? You can put everything else on a burger these days. I'm putting you in charge of trying it. Let me know how it goes. At least you'll have the satisfaction of getting a high dose of Vitamin K with your cholesterol. :)

Allyson: I know you've been busy. I've been reading your blog. I'm surprised you have time to check any blogs at all, still. I think that if you came back here you would find it much, much the same. While you have been having adventures in living with your folks and building a house, the craziest thing we've done is pull up the carpets. Oh, I did get sucked into the PTA as secretary, as well as secretary of the PTSA at the jr. high. That's pretty crazy, given my organizational skills. Glad to see you back!

David S. said...

I'm satisfied. For now.

motherof8 said...

I want some chard.
A burger would be great, too.