Thursday, May 28, 2020

My New Office

I've been training for my new job. There is much to learn, but I'll get a handle on it eventually.

The former administrative assistant from my building, Susan, is transferring to another seminary along with the current principal, so I will be a new administrative assistant with a new principal--a man who is a newly minted principal and not just a principal transferring in from another building. I'm sure Griff, my new principal, and I will experience some hilarious situations where neither one of us knows what we're doing in the coming year, probably at the same time, and probably about really important things. It's certainly not ideal to have a brand new administrative assistant working with a brand new principal, but there is a lot of support available, so I harbor no misgivings about the coming year. If we can get through a year, we can do anything.

I was hired for a full-time job with benefits at the building where Denise works, but I'm now working part-time at the building in my town instead.

Here's what happened:

The Friday after I was hired, I got a call from the regional director, and he told me that they had a problem. The woman they hired as the part-time administrative assistant for the other building (where I now work), Jeannie, is related to the new principal. Jeannie and Griff are only cousins-in-law, and it was never a secret, as Jeannie and Griff were very up-front about it from day one; only after the hire did HR balk and say they didn't want any relatives in a boss/subordinate situation, even if they aren't really close relatives, and even if they aren't blood-related.

Regional Boss told me that both Jeannie and I were hired because we have the qualities they were looking for. Not only do they want people who can be competent at the job, they also want people who can create a positive, warm, supportive culture in the seminary buildings for students and faculty alike. In addition, administrative assistants are the glue that hold these buildings together. Teachers and principals are transferred in and out every couple years or so, so administrative assistants are the one consistent piece in an ever-changing puzzle. We act as communication hubs, knowledge centers, and cheerleaders, really, for the faculty. Our job is to consistently support faculty and students while other factors change. Jeannie and I were the two outstanding interviewees for these positions, and that's why we were hired.

Then he asked me a question: would I be willing to switch places with Jeannie? And no, full-time hours and benefits would not come with me (that status is determined solely by the number of students who are enrolled in each high school's seminary program and not by applicant qualifications).

It was an unfair question, yes. My decision to keep or not keep the job I was hired for would determine the fate of Jeannie's job, and having met Jeannie and been happily impressed by her, I felt distressed at the thought of demanding to keep my job and forcing her out of a job entirely. So I did agree to switch.

As you would expect, I got angry after I hung up the phone. This is not a church calling, it's a job. Yet what could I do? In my mind, I could only do one thing and still live with myself. Even Husband, who ranted for a while when I told him about it later, admitted he would most likely have made the same decision. Even my MIL, who called me up later in the evening and ranted for a longer time, admitted she would probably have made the same decision.

I felt the anger, I allowed myself to feel it, and I felt it was justified. That decision has cost me some real future dollars and means that I won't get to work with Denise. I expressed my thoughts on the subject to people in charge, but not in the heat of the moment. In the end, however, after having a blessing and doing a lot of praying, I feel like I'm in the right place. I no longer harbor any anger or frustration at the situation, and I am excited to be working where I am with the people I'll be working with.

Besides, my new office is bigger than my old office.

My new office, featuring Standard Bland decor. I wonder if I can decorate? I'm going to have to do something or all of these cupboard doors and drawer fronts will drive me crazy. I'm at least bringing in a few lamps so I can occasionally turn off the flourescents. (Photo taken from the doorway.)

There are lots and lots of cupboards and filing cabinets, which are mostly filled with papers that need to be shredded. Guess what I'll be doing this summer! (Photo taken from the far wall.) 
I am also now within walking distance of my new office, and that might come in handy if we have a malfunctioning car situation. Also for exercise. Ha.

Susan, the outgoing administrative assistant, has been showing me the ropes. Training hours have been spotty so far, what with the crazy quarantine situation going on and with some system software updates creating new and surprising glitches that have prevented us from getting things done. I still know just about nothing, but it'll be a fun ride.

No comments: