Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Silver Linings of the Apocalypse

1. For good or ill, we received our stimulus money yesterday (I honestly didn't think that would actually happen, and I wasn't holding my breath) and went on a wild paying-off-debt spree that will now free up quite a bit of cash each month. For one thing, that albatross of a Volvo we have had sitting unusable in our driveway is now paid off, so now we can sell it. This has given us a great boost in snowballing debt payoff.

2. Little Gary has been able to play online games with his British cousin, Toby. They're about the same age, and it's been fun watching him be able to bond with a cousin he otherwise has very little hope of speaking to and getting to know. They've become good friends, which makes me happy. Little Gary gets online in the mornings, and Toby is online after his tea (supper), and it works out great even with the time difference.

3. I taught Elannah and Sophia the basics of the keto diet, and they've really taken to it. Neither of them is at all fat or can afford to lose much weight, but each of them was worried about eating like crap during this time. It's given me a chance to teach them some cooking techniques, which makes me happy, and Elannah, especially, is thrilled that she doesn't feel deprived while still being able to become less bloated and take off a couple pounds.

This has been good for all of us, actually. We had to take Joseph to get some new clothes because he has been shrinking out of his trousers. He has had a weight problem for a while, which makes him very self-conscious (and which is why I don't post photos of him, because it makes him uncomfortable), but he's getting taller, which helps, and eating better, which also helps. He's also been taking daily walks to get sunshine and exercise, and that has been all his own idea. It makes me so happy because I can see his anxiety and depression lifting. For him to be excited to go outside and take walks is a huge step for him. The dog loves it, too.

You're asking yourself if I'm a slim thing by doing keto. Let me answer that with a quote from Alice in Alice in Wonderland: "I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it." But I'm actually sticking with it much better this time, so I'll keep you updated. Every time I do keto--even if it's lazy, dirty keto--I get positive results in a very short space of time. You'd think that I'd be better at it, right? I'm surprisingly stupidly stubborn, even when doing a thing is in my own best interest.

4. Husband enjoys watching home improvement shows with me. He's not even pretending. He was the one who used some Amazon credit he'd accumulated to buy the second season of Home Town because he liked the first season so much.

He blames me for changing him in two significant ways: he was never a reader before he married me, and I helped turn him into a bookworm and a writer. And he never would have thought he'd like home improvement television shows, and now that's a thing we love doing together during a quiet evening. Hey, he doesn't seem upset about it, so I'm happy to take credit. Really, though, I was just encouraging and nurturing traits he already had, but I'll still take credit.

No comments: