Tuesday, September 29, 2015

A Sideways Jog in the Journey

Sometimes you go on journeys you don't expect to end. And then, one day, they do.

I just got laid off from my amazing job.

The company is a startup, and though things are going pretty well, revenue was down enough and would be down enough for the foreseeable future that the CEO and the president had to figure out where to cut the budget to keep going. A day or so ago, after much discussion and debate between the two of them, they decided to cut the entire Content team (all two of us) and focus more on the SEO angle of marketing. I got an email from the president yesterday afternoon wondering if I had a moment to talk on the phone. Though there had been no foreshadowings or warnings, I kind of knew what he was going to say before he said it.

So, as of Wednesday (tomorrow), I am unemployed. Or, as a writer, I can just state that I'm back to being a self-employed freelancer.

I have no bitterness or anger. These were all lovely people to work with, and I have learned so much during my nine months with this agency. I am, however, a little concerned about our financial situation, as this will effectively cut our income in half. But we've been there before, so we can manage it again. It's just a good thing I learned of this before we bought another car!

The Lord knew our situation when I miraculously got this job, and He still knows our needs and situation now. I feel a great deal of comfort and peace, even if it is mixed with some anxiety about what I should do next and how I should go about it. I remind myself to be still and know that God is fully aware, and that dwelling in worry and anxiety might make it hard to hear the promptings of the Spirit.

As Husband said to me after he had taken a while last night to digest the news, "Well, it sure was fun while it lasted, wasn't it?"

Yes, it was. And I'm grateful for the blessing this job has been.






No comments: