Monday, December 16, 2013

My Bollywood Crush

"Interesting" is relative, so screw it: I'm writing that Bollywood post after all. Strap on your sitar and take a journey with me into the colorful world of Indian cinema. My name is Eva Aurora, and I'll be your tour guide.

For the last few years, I have developed a bit of an addiction to Indian movies. I've always liked good movies and how they can sweep you away into an alternate reality for a couple hours, laughing or weeping with the characters on the screen. Yes, books are better, but sometimes your brain just hurts. That's when movies really shine.

The thing about Bollywood movies is that they are...well...epic. For one thing, they are very long; often they last more than two-and-a-half hours. They also tell a very thorough story, which is what I find frequently lacking in Hollywood films. There are conflicts with no easy solutions, and you don't always get a happy ending--although you often do, as well, even if the happy ending comes at a price. There are humorous movies, sensitive movies, and action thrillers. And, of course, there are love stories. Plenty of love stories. I'm a sucker for character-driven plots--whether in books or movies--and Bollywood feeds my addiction quite nicely.

If I were to have a celebrity crush, it would be Aamir Khan, actor, producer, and director. I've never seen one of his movies that I didn't really like. He chooses stuff that has substance, that grabs your heart and refuses to let go until the story is fully explored.


However, to start your Bollywood journey, I suggest something from my second favorite actor, Shahrukh Khan (not related to Aamir as far as I know).


Shahrukh Khan does a lot of romantic comedies, Bollywood-style. That means you get conflict and obstacles preventing two star-crossed lovers from being together along with plenty of music video inserts and dancing. And the boy can dance! His 1995 classic hit Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge is a good starting point for your Bollywood adventure. It's silly and fun in places but also deep enough to be taken seriously. Shahrukh as a plucky, hopeful romantic male lead is always a good choice, and he's not afraid to do slapstick comedy here and there. One of Shahrukh's more current romance movies (2012) is Jab Tak Hai Jaan. If nothing else, his soulful acting and very attractive graying stubble will keep you hooked as his character deals with the bleak aftermath of a severe promise made to God. Shahrukh also does action. Don, which tells the tale of a naive blue-collar worker sent to imitate a nasty gang boss, is a bit violent, but it will glue you to your seat until the very end. You won't be disappointed by the turns this movie takes. Plus, if you like the first movie, there's a sequel, Don 2.

But Aamir Khan, ah, Aamir...He has a deep soul. The movies he chooses to do always strike me to the heart. Unfortunately, one of my absolute favorites of his, Lagaan, is suddenly only available on Netflix DVD services, where it was, until recently, available on Instant Watch. I think that is also true of the one where he plays an art teacher who helps a struggling boy overcome undiagnosed dyslexia. I can't remember the name of that one because it's long and I don't speak Hindi, but if you ever come across it, watch it. You won't be sorry. Other great Aamir Khan movies are the thriller/romance Fanaa, which is complicated and gripping; the detective mystery Talaash; and Dil Chahta Hai, a story of three childhood friends who are forced to grow up.

Just for fun, Aamir Khan has a nephew named Imran Khan, who makes some cute romantic movies.

If you've read this far, it's time to order some curry takeout and fire up your Netflix account. Try something new and exotic! The world is a diverse place.

Namaste.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

I just added all of the movies you mentioned to my Netflix list. They sound great!

Linnea said...

I've never seen a Bollywood movie, but school gets out in four days and I'm going to see a few of these next week! And for the record, I find all your posts interesting!

Eva Aurora said...

Ladies, you'll have to let me know what you think! If you find you like the movies, we should organize a Girls' Night Out Indian movie night or something.