Saturday, June 16, 2012

"MOM?? You're going to climb a rock wall?? At your age??"


Today I climbed an entire rock wall. The National Guard set up a climbing wall in the parking lot of a local grocery store. Why not? I thought. Even if I'm (mumble) pounds overweight, I'm going to give it a shot. In fact, the whole family gave it a shot. I am proud to say that I made it all the way to the top despite a sudden and nearly paralyzing fear that the wind would blow the entire structure down on top of me. I pushed the button and I earned my National Guard lanyard fair and square.

See? That's me.


Husband, Elannah, and Sophia also made it all the way up, Elannah and Sophia multiple times. But everyone tried, including the little boys.

Here's Elannah just getting started on one of probably three or four climbs.

Above, from left: Elannah, Husband, Joseph, and Sian. We dominated the wall.
Below: Joseph had had enough, but Husband kept going.

2 comments:

motherof8 said...

Awesome! I think it is extremely cool that you even got a turn. Usually when I see these things there is such a crowd that you have to really, really want to climb. I always think my guys would like it, but they seldom want to wait.

Good for you! I am too old and heavy and possibly cowardly. I admire you!

Eva Aurora said...

It's the advantage of living in a small town, Barbara. There were literally five people standing around, so no waiting at all. I went up twice!