Sunday, February 13, 2011

Another Hun Moment

Sian is driving now. She passed the written test, produced the correct documents, and now she can drive on a learner's permit for a year. Of course, she wants to drive everywhere. Fortunately, she's pretty good at it, but I like to think it's because of her good genes and my expert tutelage. When I yell things like, "BRAKE! BRAKE NOW!!" she listens very well.

She's a good driver. A very good driver.

She's got a permit to dri-ive! She's got a permit to dri-i-ive. She's got a permit to drive, and she so cares!

In other Sian news, I have been teasing her about her first "hun" moment. We were walking a neighbor girl home (it was dark), and when Sian walked her up to the door, I distinctly heard her say, "Okay. Goodnight, Hun." I tactfully didn't mention it for at least three or four seconds, but then I just couldn't keep it in anymore.

"Did you just call her "HUN"?" I crowed. "Oh, wow! You ARE a [insert our town name here] -ian now!"

"I did not! Did I?" she cried. Then she buried her face in her hands. "Oh, no. Oh, no, no, no."

As her caring and tender mother, I have found every opportunity to mention it to as many people as possible, as much to nip this disturbing trend in the bud through the process of mortification as to laugh. With her. WITH her. Right, Sian?

3 comments:

Linnea said...

I've caught myself saying HUN too....after 10 years I think I'm done fighting it...it could be worse, right?

Kimara said...

London has her learners permit now but the weather has been so bad and the roads so icy she barely had a chance to drive. Vroooommm Vroooomm Sian

Sian said...

how are you laughing WITH me if you insist on posting my teeny WEENY little mistake on the internet for everyone to see?!? Mother, by laughing WITH me, you're making everyone else laugh AT me! But I'll accept a trip to the ice cream shop as an apology anytime. :)