Wednesday, April 14, 2010

THESE SMALL HOURS!!!!!!

As my oldest daughter, Sian, climbed wearily into the car after yet another long, 12-hour day of school and play practice, I realized I had never taught her a fundamental method of relieving stress: singing as loud as you can to rock music. At least, I had never forced her to actually do it, although she's had to suffer through my own stress-relieving sessions. After telling her to belt it, I cranked up my current mixed CD and we sang lustily along with ColdPlay and Rob Thomas. She doesn't have as much experience as I do in quelling the feeling of self-consciousness during song-belting sessions, but though she laughed, she persevered. When we got home, she gave me a hug and thanked me.

Am I a good parent, or what?

4 comments:

LeShel said...

you are an awesome mom!

motherof8 said...

Good Mom!

I found that driving kids to and from their activities, especially from, was a great time to really get in touch. They would actually talk to me. Which made me very reluctant to carpool because then they would talk with their friends instead, of course.

Lena said...

thanks for sharing, now I know how to deal with that.. ))

Musical Melodie said...

That really helped. There were so many things that were stressing me out that day(the biggest one was pushy actors). You should become a shrink. Your methods are super. You're fabulous!