Thursday, April 30, 2009

I would have failed as a 1950's TV wife.

I was lamenting the ethereal nature of finished housework to a friend today and realized once again that housework would be so much easier if I didn't have any stuff. Can you imagine how clean I could keep things without the papers, the books, the dishes, the toys, the gadgets, the furniture, the clothes?

In fact, my parents lived a lot like that for a while when they were in Central Minnesota (motto: "Watery and full of mosquitos. But pretty. You betcha.") They had bought a double-wide trailer in a very rural area because that was where their jobs were, and for some reason just never got around to getting furniture. Well, they had beds -- I can't think of a reason anyone would willingly sleep on the floor in a state known for cold drafts -- and they had a dining table and some chairs, but that was pretty much it. No living room furniture, no bookshelves full of books, a few clothes, no TV for a while.

And they liked it.

For a couple years they didn't change the furniture situation. When we visited, there were some mattresses for us on the floor in the living room. It was roomy, I'll say that much. And it was also easy to keep clean. Of course, by then there were no small children, and that always helps.

When my parents bought this house after deciding to move to Utah, it was also pristinely non-furnitured for a long time. The carpet always seemed to have vacuum marks in it because no one ever walked on it. That was before we moved in, of course.

We brought with us beds and books and kids' clothes, dressers and bookshelves. And, of course, books. Loads and loads of books. We brought small children, as well, and added to them over the years, ensuring a constant crop of crumbs on the floor, dirty smears on the walls, and nose smudges on the windows. With us came the need for more than three or four plates. In fact, we apparently need about 100 plates, cups and bowls, all of which are dirty at any given time no matter how many children have been assigned to dish duty. Ditto the silverware. Especially the spoons.

Eventually a dining table and chairs were added. Someone brought up the crazy idea of living room furniture, and it was all downhill from there. The years have brought with them the detritus of pre-school, school age and finally teen-age kids. When I get energetic and ambitious enough, I try to cull our papers and books and toys and...stuff. But more keeps coming in.

It also doesn't help that I'm lazy. I hate the mundane day-to-day maintenence. HATE it. I know I have to, and sometimes I get all excited about getting rid of everything extra and keeping this place clean by merely putting in a couple hours a day. (Ha!) It's just getting there.

And I'm so easily distracted by more interesting things.

Ah, well. It's all part of the struggle. Husband is very understanding; he also loathes dishes. But we all enjoy a clean and tidy house, so it's a struggle worth continuing. I also have learned not to equate my self-worth with my lack of innate cleaning ambitions.

But just to be on the safe side, please call before you come. Thank you.

4 comments:

Lyn Milne said...

I love your writing tone. And I love the Minnesota state motto.

Keep 'em coming!

motherof8 said...

I so identify - and then some.
I would love to have a clean and tidy house. I think. Not that I actually know from personal experience. Unfortunately, I and my clan seem to have emotional problems relating to letting go of stuff. Way more books than bookshelves. "You cannot have too many books; you have too few bookshelves." kids and pets. Miscellaneous might-be-useful-somedays. Even though the number of collectors has thinned considerably, it will be YEARS before the house recovers. I don't think I hate housework, but who has enough time to find out? There are so many things in life to do! and such limited energy and time.
I think it would be helpful, too, if we could do the dinner dishes before we eat. Once we sit down, it's over for me and the dishes sit as well.

The Father of Five said...

Great Post Eva!

And now I am a bit creeped out, because last night (even before reading this post - if you can believe me) I posted about crumbs on the floor too!!

I guess there are some themes that are common with large families!

I can oh-so-relate with you on this post on so many levels... Plates, and Spoons! What is it with the spoons?!?!

We had to go to Sam's club, and purchase the extra jumbo restaurant package of 25 spoons to keep our supply going... and even now, of the 12 I put out (with what was remaining of our original set) we are washing dirty spoons when we need one... Yikes!

I think with kids between the ages of 0 and somewhere in their 20's - you are fighting a losing battle with "the culling". My kids bring more into the house than I could get rid of... Birthdays, Christmas, "goodie bags" from other kids parties, neighbor's kids bringing stuff over, my kids going to garage sales, school papers, Boy Scouts, Sewing Class, etc, etc, etc...

It's all we can do to "maintain" let alone get ahead...

Now, back to your title... the 50's... Let me end with another little quote from the 50's (when it comes to keeping a clean house with umpteen children...)

"Duck and cover"

Kimara said...

What is it with disappearing spoons? They are the first ones lost at my house. I only have one child and I still can't find them after I clean the house. I think they are chillin with the 3 dozen socks I have that don't have mates and I don't have the heart to chuck!