Friday, October 28, 2022

What Is Science?

I've probably said this before, and I may bore you by repeating myself, gentle reader, but I am again struck by the memory of my introduction to fifth grade after I moved to Northern Minnesota.

In Idaho, my young, female teachers were idealistic and inventive: they allowed me to explore my passions as long as I completed my regular work. When I wrote plays in fourth grade (when I was about nine years old), my teacher allowed me to cast my plays and rehearse them during school time in order to perform them for the class. Because I was an avid reader (thanks, Mom!), I was allowed into the "big kids'" section of the library in third grade because that was where the books were shelved that were at my reading level. I wrote stories and invented games and had a wonderful time at school -- so much so that I was very upset if my mother ever made me stay home if I got sick. And I loved learning. I loved school because I could fill up my brain with new information that was taught in a creative, dynamic way that was perfect for my age. I wasn't any smarter than most of my classmates, I just loved to learn and was encouraged to express the things I learned in creative ways, and that made school enjoyable and fulfilling for me.

When we moved to Northern Minnesota, I was turning ten years old and going into the fifth grade. I had spent the summer making friends with the kids in my neighborhood, so at least I wasn't entirely alone when I started a new school, but it turned out that my friends were the only thing that was interesting about school. My grumpy fifth grade teacher, a man who seemed impossibly old to me at the time because he had gray whiskers, immediately squelched any creative aspirations I had. I was no longer allowed to explore beyond the curriculum. All would be done in order and lockstep. No one could stick their head above the crowd. This continued through sixth grade and into junior high. 

School became a prison, and with only a few exceptions, my teachers became my guards. I did the school work, but I went home from school and gave myself an exceptional education in English and American literature, for instance, by reading and pondering the great works on my own, writers like Charles Dickens and George Elliot, whose portrayals of the human condition far outshone much of the stuff on my class reading lists.

My Minnesota public education taught me was that I was not allowed to think for myself. Where my Idaho teachers encouraged me to take what I learned and explore it in my own personal idiom, my Minnesota education told me that I would be taught what to think and would be chastised for thinking beyond that. 

Fortunately, I rebelled. I was lucky. I knew what true freedom tasted like, so even the oppressive "progressive" education of the more liberal school district in Minnesota didn't entirely crush my spirit. The problem is that progressive education like that has crushed many, many peoples' spirits, and I have also found myself more likely to stay silent than argue against obvious fallacies that are taught as gospel truth (more shame be upon me for my cowardice). The appeal to authority these days has people so cowed and unsure of what their own eyes are telling them or the validity of their own experiences that they cannot -- or will not -- have the courage to think for themselves and question the narrative. I do not believe I'm any sort of genius -- far from! -- but I do think that I, and all others, should be taught to have more faith in (and the importance of) our abilities to observe, ponder, hypothesize, and come up with answers about many things in life and try them out to see if they are right. Instead, the popular method of "education" has become to force all people into the correct thought prisons, helpless to step outside of the prison walls for fear of ridicule and gaslighting. We are even taught to ridicule and gaslight our own selves, which is a most heinous crime, for then we can never even desire to be truly free.

The reason I'm on this soapbox today is because of this video, below. 

Those questions haunt me...

No comments: