Monday, January 17, 2022

I Suddenly Feel Old

 I work with guys, a couple of them young enough to be my sons. This fact was once again brought to my attention last week.

After the students had mostly left the building at the end of the day on Thursday, Skyler was in my office telling me a story from his life. Tanner came in, grabbed my Sharpie marker, and said, "Dude, if you let me throw this at your back as hard as I can, I'll let you do it to me," and both of them immediately ran out of my office into the hall. I heard the thwack of Sharpie against dress shirt and flesh, a laughing exclamation of pain, and then the same thing again. Then I heard them decide to repeat the experiment.

Thwack. Laughter. Thwack. Laughter.

In explanation, Tanner stated that he just needed to wake up so he could focus on the work he had to do for the next few hours. I guess that's one way to shake off the sleepies, though it's not an idea that would have occurred to me--but I am not a guy in my mid-to-late-twenties.


 



No comments: