Saturday, May 8, 2021

It's Not Them, It's Me

 You know how when you're in one relationship after another that keeps going wrong in the same ways you eventually have to own up to the fact that it's not them--it's you? 

This is the relationship I have with beds. I have to own up to the fact that it's not them, it's me. I'm just not good at sleeping. I can't do these amazing beds justice. No matter how much I whine and complain about how tired I am, it's never the bed's fault.

We recently got a new bed. It's a Layla double-twin dual adjustable bed, and it's fabulous. The mattresses have a firmer side and a softer side, but the softer side is actually soft--unlike many other companies that claim to have soft mattresses that still feel like you're practically sleeping on a board. In the story of Goldilocks and the Three Bears, I'm Mama Bear. I like mattresses so soft you disappear into a ditch every time you lie down. The soft side of the Layla mattress isn't quite that soft, but it's very, very comfortable. I do not understand people who love a firm mattress. 

The bed we had before--a Casper king with a pillow topper--was absolutely fine, but Husband found this amazing deal on the Layla adjustable bed and snapped it up. This way, we can raise the head of the bed a little, which helps both of us as side sleepers breathe more easily. We had tried a foam wedge under our Casper mattress, and Husband liked it, but I felt like I was sleeping on a hill, which did not help me relax during my sleep. I would slide down during the night and wake up with my feet hanging off the end of the bed. Now, with two adjustable mattresses, we each have control over how high we want to raise our heads and/or feet. Neither of us raise our feet to sleep, but it's nice to have the head raised a few degrees.

Husband also surprised me with a 20lb weighted blanket because I can't stand sleeping under light covers that make me feel like I'm being tickled. I loathe being tickled. Try tickling me and find out how swiftly my normally non-violent self becomes violent. While it is difficult to turn over in the night under all that weight (I also need a body pillow between my knees and to support my arm), it's a great blanket. It feels like being hugged. The problem is that, as it gets warmer outside, I get overheated under that blanket and have to kick it off, so then I am left under only a tickly sheet.

Despite sleeping in this wonderful, comfortable bed, I still wake up feeling like I've been up for 36 hours and have been clenching every muscle in my body while asleep.

I have issues. It's definitely me, not the beds. 

By the way, Little Gary got our Casper king bed. The bed takes up 2/3 of his room, but he's never slept so well.

No comments: