Saturday, January 11, 2020

Happy Things

Yesterday was end-of-term, so there was no school for the kids, but it was still a work day for district personnel. For us bus drivers, there was mandatory training for four hours. We all crowded into the cafeteria of the local alternative high school/community learning center to hear from our leaders.

I ended up sitting at a table with my bus aide, Rueben; the other preschool driver, Johnny; and my bishop, who is both a bus driver and a work-from-home computer programmer (and full-time prankster). They appointed me as the table representative (not a real thing) and then proceeded to try to get me to ask really stupid questions in front of the whole group of bus drivers. I was too smart for them, however, and the one question I did agree to ask received literal applause from half the room ("Why aren't there more school administrators in the bus lanes after school?"). Their snarky but intelligent under-the-breath comments did make the training a lot more entertaining than it normally is.

During the break, another bus driver, Bonnie, came over to our table and showed me the yarn she had brought. She loved my little crocheted Christmas light bulb so much that she offered to pay me to make more, so we hashed out the color combinations she wanted, including Seahawks blue and green for her sister-in-law. Several other women drifted over, attracted to the yarn like moths to a flame. We huddled, happily discussing yarn weights and projects, until it was time to start the training again.

After they left, Johnny said, "So, you like yarn?"

I looked at the skeins of worsted weight 100% acrylic yarn in the bag and said, "Yarn and blank paper make me happy. I start thinking of all the things I could do with it."

Johnny laughed. "You feel about yarn like I feel about guns." Rueben and Johnny had been quietly showing each other pictures of their favorite guns on their phones. It's funny because you would totally expect that from Rueben, who is basically a redneck without the accent, and who has taught me just about everything I know about guns (which is a pitiful amount compared to what he knows) but you probably wouldn't peg Johnny as a gun nut. But both of them are avid outdoorsmen who could probably survive in the woods if they had to. (I don't think my bishop is a gun nut, but he keeps bees and has given us delicious honey in the past. Someday I'm going to have to pick his brains about that.)

Last Saturday, Husband and I went to visit Sian and Tyler (Nathan had to work, so we didn't get to see him).


I had so much fun with that kid. He showed me all his toys, and I chased him down the hall while he shrieked with laughter. He would get down on his belly and look under furniture, pretending that there were toys stuck under there, and then I would get down and look with him and say, "Hey! There's nothing there!" and he would laugh and laugh at his little joke. He's a happy, adorable, intelligent toddler, and it was so fun to have him climb into my lap and talk gibberish to me. I gave him many, many kisses.


Tonight is my first choir rehearsal of the new season, and I can't wait to see what Denise has chosen for us to sing. Last week at our annual Christmas party (a little late for Christmas, but it was the most convenient date for the largest number of people), she showed us the list of pieces she was considering, and "Northern Lights" by Ola Gjeilo, my favorite, is on it. I'm anxious to see if it made the final cut. Whatever we sing, I'll enjoy it.

I've been practicing my cello regularly, so I now have callouses and my muscles are getting stronger.

Joseph put the bird cage in my room today for a change of scenery, and Mrs. Puff and Dave, the parakeets we got last year, are chirping conversationally at me.

These are happy things. There are stressful things in my life at the moment, but I don't think any of them will kill me. Yet.

No comments: