Wednesday, July 24, 2019

Taken Down a Humbling Peg

A single lady in my ward called me, frantic, and through her sobs explained that her crappy car had broken down last night in the southerly end of The Big City--an hour's drive away. She had managed to get home, but now she had to get to work, and it was simply too hot to bike to work, and could I give her a ride?

Fortunately, I had access to a car, so I went and picked her up. She was still crying as she got into the car, and she complained about her car (understandably) and then wailed that she had to call the gas station where her car was stuck to explain that it wasn't abandoned and ask them to let her leave it there until her friend could tow it tomorrow.

This woman is thirty-seven years old and she couldn't make herself make a phone call, despite the necessity of it.

Now, I understand not loving the telephone. I really don't enjoy making phone calls, and having a son with severe anxiety has helped me see how hard it can be for people with Anxiety to sometimes do simple tasks, but I admit I rolled my eyes. Quietly. In my head.

Then a little voice whispered to me, "Stop it. You have someone who can help you out when things go wrong. You have someone on whom you can rely to share the burden, and he is competent, intelligent, and often saves you from having to do the hard things you don't like to do. This woman is facing this on her own, and for her it's a crisis. Be kind."

My heart immediately softened. I was suddenly overwhelmed with gratitude that I have my husband to share the burdens of life with me. This woman, though she would love to be married and have children, doesn't have that. Everything she does, she has to do on her own. She's not especially tough or resilient, but I know that she does do many things on her own that she finds difficult and nerve-wracking.

So I offered, without impatience, to call the gas station for her, and she was immediately relieved.

I am often an idiot, but at least I'm a redeemable and grateful idiot. That's my one saving grace.



No comments: