Monday, March 16, 2015

Celebrate with Me!

Who's the girl who never managed to finish college?

This girl!

Who's the girl who just got hired as the Senior Copywriter for a fast-growing digital marketing company (which has tripled its growth in the last seven months alone!)?

This girl!

Who's the girl who is now making enough to double our income?

This girl!

Today was my first official day as an employee with my new company. Last week I was a contract writer. This week, I can't invoice for every single piece of work I do, but I am part of a team at a company whose philosophy is one for which I can stand up and cheer. Plus, the numbers added up, which is always crucial, don't you think? I'm not mercenary, but I did want to make sure it made sense to walk away from being a contract writer and tie myself down to one company. I think there's plenty of room to grow here, though.

I just attended my first company-wide call. I was asked to introduce myself as one of the two new team members whose official start date is today, and I managed not to make an utter and complete fool of myself, which is always nice.

I've only met one person at this company in real life. The Senior Content Manager, who is my direct manager, is also stationed in Utah, and she's not so far away that a couple meetings a month aren't doable. We had lunch last week, which was the first time I've ever met her in person after knowing her for four years. At the end of this month I'll be meeting the president and one of the directors when they come up to give us some training. All twelve of us employees are scattered throughout the United States and Hong Kong, and we all work remotely. There are clusters of people, like most of the marketing division in Chicago and the design division up in Seattle. A few live in Phoenix. Several are in Hong Kong, including the CEO, who has to get up at something like 4:00 in the morning his time to attend the Monday meetings.

So what do I do? I am part of the Content Team. We write the stuff that goes on website pages, in clients' blogs, and manage the social media campaigns. The sales team is doing such an excellent job bringing new clients on board that we are kept very busy. Except for the meetings I now have to attend, I don't know that I'll be any more busy than I was working as a contract writer for this company, and I was really busy then, too. If we get much busier, we'll have to hire more writers.

Anyway, thanks for celebrating with me. I'm very excited for this new opportunity, and I'm so grateful to God for being aware of my family's needs. I can still work at home and be my kids' mom during the day while bringing in a paycheck that makes me finally have hope that I'll be able to put together a strong food storage and keep my family from starving when California runs out of water/the apocalypse happens/WWIII finally explodes. Whichever comes first. :)

4 comments:

The Father of Five said...

Good luck with your new position!!

You will do well!

Lisa said...

Congratulations! That's fantastic!

LeShel said...

Hooray!

Lena said...

I am celebrating with you!!! By some reason, I thought you finished writing in your blog, but I'm happy you didn't. Congrats on a new awesome job! I'm also very happy for your daughter serving a mission! Maybe one day I'll have a chance to talk to her in Russian, that would be fun :)