Friday, May 31, 2013

Untalent Show

My brother, Aaron, and I were discussing talent shows. He mentioned that his single adults group had put on an untalent show and that it was hilarious. I was instantly smitten with the idea.

All of us have talents, seen and unseen. They may be things we're naturally good at or things we've really worked hard to perfect. Some have a few, some have many. But the thing with untalents is that there are so many of them it would be difficult to choose just one to portray. The possibilities are nearly infinite and limited only by the things we're actually good at!

During our conversation, I immediately came up with a number of untalents I have: dubstep, ventriloquism, and business finance. Glass blowing, Japanese drumming, and collegiate spontaneous argumentation. Keeping house plants alive for more than a week. Writing poetry (or, rather, writing good poetry). Juggling. Recycling. Oil painting. Lawn care. Rocket science.

And that was just off the top of my head!

The more I think about suggesting an untalent show for an upcoming get-together or fundraiser, the more I like it. If we limited each act to two minutes and allowed people to also display non-performance untalents (i.e. botched sewing projects; whittling gone bad; terrible artwork; thoroughly dead houseplants), everybody could participate. As long as people stuck with things they knew they were awful at doing, it would all be in good fun. More, it gives you a chance to laugh a bit at yourself, not to mention getting all philosophical about how untalents are just things you haven't spent the time and effort to perfect yet. If ever.

Until the show, I will not be working on my awesomely bad break-dancing routine. I'm very excited.

No comments: