Sunday, May 20, 2012

It's Not "The Secret"

I've been reading about quantum physics and subatomic particles. For the last few weeks, I've been having a hard time getting anything else done because my mind has been so happily distracted. So even if I'm churning out my daily quota of paid writing (with Husband's help, now that Little Gary has graduated from preschool and has only his mommy for entertainment, and that situation is hardly conducive to the quiet, reflective thinking I require to write anything coherent), I've frequently found myself staring off into space, daydreaming about The Zero Point Field.

It's good to lead off with the fact that you're reading about quantum physics, or even mention subatomic particles in casual conversation. In general, it sounds impressive, which fools your friends into thinking you're really smart even while you're laughing at yourself for your utter nerdiness. The other day, however, I got a little overexcited and actually did bring up the concepts of nonlocality and coherence in casual conversation in an attempt to illustrate a point. My problem is that I am excited to share these things not because I can look intelligent but because the implications of those concepts are so profound and I want everyone to be as thrilled about it as I am. My other problem is that I am not familiar enough yet with the information to be able to clearly describe what it is I want to say.

So here's what I'm going to do: I'm going to go back and start sorting out my thoughts so I can share them here in little increments. Meanwhile, you'll go and find and read these two books: The Field and The Intention Experiment, both by Lynne McTaggart. I promise they're great reads, and maybe you'll start feeling the urge to talk about the fact that we create our reality every second of the day and how we're all connected to each other and to the cosmos through the Zero Point Field.

C'mon. It'll be fun!




4 comments:

Erin said...

i remember chatting with you and amy years ago about quarks; i think we were laughing about some guy and a physics class. who knows. this blows my mind that you're totally into this topic because IIRC, you didn't care about it at the time. me? it's not that i don't care, i just don't understand it. i failed 3rd grade honors science, so i can't really say much about that...

Eva Aurora said...

Funny what you remember. I have no memory of that conversation at all, or who we would have been discussing. But you're right: I wasn't interested in all this stuff then because I had other things on my mind, mainly boys. Ha ha ha.

Hey, you majored in statistics, for goodness' sake. You'd definitely understand these books. I don't have the math to understand the raw data of quantum physics (dropped out of physics in high school and barely got a "C" in calculus), but when someone kindly lays it all out for me in English, I'll gratefully read it. Mind blowing stuff. And I am much less concerned about boys these days, so that helps my concentration and focus. :)

The Father of Five said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Father of Five said...

Are there "Cliffs Notes" available???