Friday, April 13, 2012

Lion Taming for Introverts: Fail

March came in like a lion and went out like a lion, if you take my personal busyness scale into account. Personally, I prefer lambs because I'm exhausted with taming all these lions. I'm an introvert who can pretend to be an extrovert sometimes, but when it comes to planning fundraisers, conferences, and parties, I am simply not the person you want to call on to be in charge.  I just don't have the ambition and drive to do what it takes to make large social functions become all that they can be, what with the marketing and phone calling and Facebooking and Twittering and e-mailing and face-to-face schmoozing and food planning and setting up and arranging and all. I like parties that are small in nature, involve close friends and/or family, and don't require anything extraordinary that I can't produce from my kitchen. Centerpieces? Please kill me now.

A few observations:
I don't get this obsession with cupcakes.
Are dollar store plastic bowls filled with M&Ms truly pathetic centerpieces or what?
Say the word "fundraiser" and watch all the adults suddenly have a hard time making eye contact.
Maybe origami isn't the best entertainment idea for 30 rowdy 7-year-old boys.
I had no idea until I got my ears pierced last December and could finally start wearing dangly earrings that earlobes can feel like they'd had a long and tiring workout.
Who knew there was such a thing as a melatonin hangover?
It's never a good idea to fake-Riverdance in high-heeled boots unless you're much younger and much more in shape.
I'm not taking Little Gary to the movies again until he's approximately 23.
It IS possible to eat only two (2) Thin Mints during the entire Girl Scout cookie sales season.


For the record, I don't Tweet. I do have a Twitter account, but I have only ever sent out two tweets, and that was probably last year. I never could get into it, but I really should have in order to better advertise all those fundraisers, conferences, and parties from last month. Thank goodness the issue is now moot.



1 comment:

The Father of Five said...

I'm with you 100% on the whole social function thingie..

My new position with our Boy Scout Troop requires me to put together two semi-annual events (Court of Honor) - and I am just not the big planner sort of fella... It's a necessary evil in my mind...

Cupcakes... Me either - unless my daughter is exercising the creative baker inside of her... Then I can get pretty excited about cupcakes...

M&M bowl centerpieces... Works good for me!

Fundraiser? (turning my head, averting my vision, and slowly kicking rocks on the ground)...

Origami ROCKS!!

I'll take your word for the whole pierced ear thingie... I'm not cool enough to have pierced ANYTHING!

Melatonin hangover... Been there, done that...

Riverdance in high heels?? See pierced ears (above) - same concept.

Kids and movies... Depending on the movie, I think parents are harder on themselves than on other parents. I now when my kids got restless, my patience level was ZERO - but when other kids are restless, I look over and think a.) Oh, aint that cute? and b.) I am glad it isn't me!

I only had ONE Samosa! I bought a box to send to the troops though!

I tweet - not much though - mostly my blog posts and duplicates of what goes out on FB. I do not monitor it all that much, and struggle to "understand" the mechanics of Twitter.

Fun post Eva!